Just Bought a 2001 XR400 - Advice Wanted

Hi guys (and gals?). I just bought a 2001 XR400 off of ebay for $3,300. Turns out I know the Seller (he was my MSF instructer) and the bike sounds like it is in great shape - still has the original knobbies with very little wear.

So, do you have any recommendations for (or against) stuff like . . .

Case savers?

Skid Plate?

Hand Guards?

Tools?

Rear rack?

Gear?

Lessons?

Anything else?

I've been a street rider for years, but dirt roads is all I have for off-road experience.

Thanks, Larry

The xr400 is a super do-it-all dirtbike and very reliable. Suggest that you do a search for mods on the xr400 as the topic has been covered many times. My basic list would include rejetting (proabably done already by the prior owner), handguards and a skidplate. You can certainly do more, but IMHO that is all you really need with an XR.

Thanks EM_rider. After I posted this I read the FAQs (duh) and saw that a skid plate and hand guards seem to be all that is needed. No rejetting done yet, but I'm looking forward to doing that with my son.

After reading about the thin magnesium cases on the DRZ400, I was worried that the XR400 would need case savers too, but I guess not, huh?

I'd really like to add a tail rack - never know when you may want to bungie something on for a longer ride. Larry

As you progress with your skills, I'd consider a skid plate and some bark busters. That's really all you'll need.

Change the oil regularly and make sure you buy a shop manual so you can learn how to keep your valves adjusted. ?

If you do that your XR will last a long time. :devil:

Oh, and a shop manual doesnt guarantee you can do your valves on your own. *bike starts* CLICK CLICK CLICK. AHHH &%$#@!!? *Calls mechanic* How much to fix my valves? $25 bucks? Done!)

Anyway, XR is a great bike. I've never had problems with the cases. I dont think they stick out very far, and once you get a skidplate with the little wings to protect the oil lines/cases, you're good to go.

Get some bark busters (the guards that connect at two points) that have aluminum in them. They not only protect against bigger bushes (trees) than just plastic ones, they'll save your levers. I've yet to break a lever with the Rally Pro's I have on two of our bikes. I might not get the same brand again, but they hold up pretty well. Just a pain in the butt to get to fit right.

Once you get used to the power, and get some experience, I strongly suggest you do the "Gordons Mods" in the FAQ. Big difference in power.

Have fun ?