Sign in to follow this  

Compression testing

I have years of experience with 2 stroke top ends and when they need rings and a piston. I don't know much about 4 strokes pistons. Can I use a compression tester to understand the state of the piston/rings as a basic maintenance/inspection routine? What should the compression range be numerically? What type is recommended, from the auto parts store? I don't have any issues and the TE 250 runs strong, I just think it makes sense as I check the valves after every other ride as a basic routine (still have not moved!)

Thanks!

MSTex

If its still pretty new, check it now and record the number for later.

Any compression tester should work, as long as its the same threads as the sparkplug, and don't sticks into the cylender no further then the sparkplug now does.

check it using the electric starter, and try to only have the piston hit the compression stroke 5 times.

Later if you think you have a problem, check it again, if its low, squart a little bit of oil in and check it again, if your rings are weak, the PSI will go up after the oil treatment, but if your valve seats are bad, the reading will no increase with the oil.

In my experience, you will not get an accurate reading from a traditional compression tester. Your automatic compression release on the cam releases the pressure at very low rpm (not running). There is a tool called a diferential guage that can give you the information you need but I'm not that familiar with them.

Good Luck.