Sign in to follow this  

Tricked out xr50 for a 5-6 year old?

Hey,

I was wondering if any dads here have modded their kids xr/crf-50s before moving them up to another bike? I ask because I got a husky boy 50 senior from a neighbor on a "try it and see if he likes it" deal. My kid rode it around our backyard track for a few days and did good on it. Then we took it to our local track along with his xr. He rode about 10 laps on it and then ended up riding his xr the rest of the day. He said the husky was too high and too snappy/unpredictable and "springy".

The problem is: He is now able to ride the xr pinned all the time....in our back yard, he hits all of our jumps pinned in 3rd....the little guy is getting some big air and distance - so much that he is now bottoming the suspension...(I'll post a video clip later tonight)...but he is still only 5 and weighs about 42 pounds. So Im thinking about changing the springs in the xr or getting a different shock/forks, 88cc kit, and higher bars.

Have any of you done this for your kids?...or is the 88cc kit too much?

I dont really care about racing right now....and he'll probably get a little ktm next year at this time when he is closer to 7 years old.

Thanks,

Mike

:thumbsup: that 88cc kit will definitaly give him the power he needs. I weigh 155 and its almost all i can handle on that little bike. Maybe try an ignition or exhaust first, you know, little mods. but do check out stiffer springs. check out www.fast50s.com

The problem is: He is now able to ride the xr pinned all the time....in our back yard, he hits all of our jumps pinned in 3rd....the little guy is getting some big air and distance - so much that he is now bottoming the suspension...(

Time for more suspension, Dad. My son berkeboy was the same way with his XR50, and I didn't want to start moving him up the XR line (too heavy for the power), so his 2nd bike was a Suzuki DS-80. It's a mellow 2-stroke enduro style, with lots better suspension. It was tall for him at first, but he grew into it, and really loved the suspension and power.

I'd vote to move him up to a 2-stroke mini with better suspension, rather than making small mods to the 50. Jumping and whoops are so much more fun with decent suspension travel! My two cents.

Have fun riding with your son -- great times! :thumbsup: -Mike-

:thumbsup: that 88cc kit will definitaly give him the power he needs. I weigh 155 and its almost all i can handle on that little bike. Maybe try an ignition or exhaust first, you know, little mods. but do check out stiffer springs. check out www.fast50s.com

yep...do the bigger bore kit...

Get him a 50cc 2stroke and keep the 50 for yourself :thumbsup: then mod it out. But serously, you can make a 50, one very mean little bike that would actually hammer a 50cc 2stroke in the dirt, but its going to cost your some $$ to do it, about the price of just buying a 50cc 2stroker. But as for the 88 kit, it would def be killer fast with him on it, I weight 120lb's, and with my 88 race head motor, I can burn a xr100 into the dirt in a straight line drag. If you want all the info you could ever want for 50's go here www.planetminis.com. And here are some good sites for motor, suspension and such.

www.hondatrailbikes.com for the best quality and cheapest 88 around.

www.sik50s.com for suspension and etc.

www.crf50racer.com for suspension and other etc.

and also www.ministothemax.com for as many links and info you can handle.

<font color="navy">You might also want to try an XR70 (sorry, CRF70). All three of my boys moved from the 50 to the 70 and were very happy. It still feels a lot like the 50 (similar egos, same trans pattern, etc.), but had the extra room they needed, extra oomph from the 20cc's, and it turns much better (more "normal" tires). But then, I was grooming trail riders at the time, not future MX stars. I know 70s aren't the huge fad now, but it was a great intermediate bike before they moved up to their current mounts (100, 200, 250)...

Thanks for the replies so far.

This is the bike that we borrowed for a couple weeks:

small_96.jpg

It is a bad little biatch!...the suspension was great but just too stiff for my son. He is very tall for his age but also very light/skinny....only about 42-44 pounds but he towers over all of the other kindegardeners.

A friend has a xr-70, so maybe we'll give that a try....another kid at our track has an xr50 with the adult handle bars, a rev box, bigger carb, White bros pipe, heavier fork springs, and an I-shock. My kid rode it and he liked the bigger bars....he said it wasn't any faster than his and it was too stiff. I asked the father and he said the I-shock was rated for 160lbs...his kid was only about 50lbs...I couldn't figure out the reasoning behind that one?

Maybe I could do a smaller bore kit....like the 75 or 77cc.

Jester - thanks for the links. Is there a big difference when you install the 88cc kit without the race head...or carb? Im thinking maybe I can add some of the parts that would make it suitable for me later on but do it in stages so it doesn't become dangerous for him. Then once he moves on to another bike, I could continue to add to it and make it rip for me.

Thanks,

Mike

If just trail and play riding get a 4 stroke 70 or 80. The husky you tried is a race bike just like my son's KTM's very fast and full of spunk not a play bike.

i wouldnt do it, I'd get one of those little KTM if I had a kid with a lead wrist :thumbsup: they make differnt models for differnt levels of riders. It sounds like your son is really pushing the xr/crf50 he has, which is good but you may want to give him more. He'll get used to the quirky powerband soon :devil:

Jester - thanks for the links. Is there a big difference when you install the 88cc kit without the race head...or carb? Im thinking maybe I can add some of the parts that would make it suitable for me later on but do it in stages so it doesn't become dangerous for him. Then once he moves on to another bike, I could continue to add to it and make it rip for me.

Thanks,

Mike

Yea, there is still a good noticable gain. I would say get the kit that comes with the 20mm carb and cam. It will give the bike a nice little kick but not to much to make it dangerours for him. It would be around the power of the Husky he rode. Then when he moves off, you could always add the race head for you later :thumbsup:.