Sign in to follow this  

Just to confirm (suspension mod)

Just to confirm the suspension mod...160lb beginner/novice riders on trails and tracks...

Take off the front wheel, loosen the top triple clamp bolts, loosen the fork cap, loosen the lower triple clamp bolts, remove the forks, take off the top cap, pull out the spring, turn upside down to drain the oil while pumping the piston, turn right side up with piston compressed, fill with 5-1/2'' 15w fork oil, pump piston slowly till you dont hear air anymore, re-fill to 5-1/2'', extend piston, slide in spring, put 3/8'' worth of stainless washers on top of spring, re-install top cap, re-install fork tube and tighten lower bolts, torque top cap, and torque remaining fork bolts.

leave the rear suspension alone.

do the jetting/airbox/exhaust mods as shown in the sickey above.

all correct? i'm picking up this bike tomorrow morning and i want to make sure i get this all right ahead of time.

thanks for any confirmation or corrections.

You are correct.

Toast, does it make a difference if you have the washers on the top or the bottom?

Also, make sure you go thorugh with a torque wrench to find the torque setting of each bolt before you take them off if you don't have the torque for that. Just keep going up with the torque wrench till you can turn the bolt.

But the rear you want to adjust the sag.

Toast, does it make a difference if you have the washers on the top or the bottom?

Top.

This way if you're making adjustments it easier , cleaner & you know how high your stack is. I'm an old guy & would forget how many washers I had down there. :thumbsup:

Oh cool, so it doesnt matter. I made sure the washers were in the middle so that they wouldn't rub on the sides.

I even asked the guy at the shop when I firt did the washers. He said to put them on the bottom...

I made sure the washers were in the middle so that they wouldn't rub on the sides.

But the washers shouldn't move in there at all, right?

I'm confused as to your post regarding pre-load washers. Any position but on TOP of the fork springs would be much more work than needed. I don't understand when you say you put the shims in the "middle". Do you mean centered in the fork tube ??

no, i think he means centered in the tube. although after looking at mine closely i found that it doesnt really matter as they arent going anywhere. i used 1'' washers, but would have gone bigger if i could have. it feels better in the garage, but i'm anxious to get it out offroad.

also, i re-jetted today :thumbsup: - feels better in the yard anyway! i also took my stock pegs from my CRF250R and put them on it - kinda trick. oh - i know what i was gonna ask...gotta start another post...

I installed a 1.125" long section of 1.125" OD tubing, .095" wall. The same oil and level as delivered. My forks work much better !!

I'm confused as to your post regarding pre-load washers. Any position but on TOP of the fork springs would be much more work than needed. I don't understand when you say you put the shims in the "middle". Do you mean centered in the fork tube ??

Yes, centered in the fork tube. I didnt want the edges to be rubbing on the fork tube, that would be terrible.

But it was easy for me, just add oil and drop them in so they float to the bottom slowly. Do some shaking on the way down so they are centered and badda boom, done...

Yes, centered in the fork tube. I didnt want the edges to be rubbing on the fork tube, that would be terrible.

But it was easy for me, just add oil and drop them in so they float to the bottom slowly. Do some shaking on the way down so they are centered and badda boom, done...

What is the OD & ID of the 3/8" spacers, and what type material are you using?

1" diameter washers and I think they are 3/8" diameter, but I could be wrong. I only remember grabbing some at the hardware store and measuring them.

They are staniless steel.

I installed a 1.125" long section of 1.125" OD tubing, .095" wall. The same oil and level as delivered. My forks work much better !!

Coeshow, What type of tubing? I have used schedule 40 PVC

in the past.

Thanks.....Karl

I have used PVC in the past for similar applications as well. It was funny..... I was going to my brothers shop to make something specifically for this. When I get there, there's a section of 4130 chromemolly in the lathe....???? :thumbsup: Minutes later, 2 parts for fork pre-load. Its overkill, but the preload is just to my liking....... The suspension is much more balanced. The BBr springs I knew would be too stiff, so I got lucky with the 1.125" spacer. Even gas pipe would work for spacers like this. PVC too..., most anything.

Coeshow,

Just be carefull about getting too much preload. If your wheel needs to go down & it can't because there is no sag up front from too much preload it can cause you to wash out the front. Sometimes this can happen very quickly too with painfull results.

Watch for symtoms & make adjustments. Less preload & more dampening might be better for you.

Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

If the oil is left the same, can spacers be put in by just simply removing the caps leaving the forks still on the bike, or does the fork need to be removed to do this?

right. if you arent changing the oil, you can just loosen the upper clamp bolts and remove the caps to insert the spacers. be careful and patient when re-installing the caps against the spring tension.

Toast

I took that into consideration. When the bike was elevated, and the fork caps removed, the springs did not even extend out of the fork tubes !! The bike had substantial "sack" and extension just by standing it up off its side stand. I've been running the 1.125 spacers for over a year with some pretty hard pounding. I do not "jump" the bike as one might on a track, but I have grabbed considerable "air" in many instances over the last year and am very happy with the results. Much improved over stock. I have removed the springs once and witnessed no indication of any possible "coil bind" or other issues. So far, so good..... Thanks for the concern.

Mike