Sign in to follow this  

Got Some Bad News .................

Well I got some bad news on my recent physical and cancer screen

Cholesterol (Bad) at 27

Prostrate exam not so good, physical exam and CT scan shows a small mass on the prostrate. Not worried really, concerned.

Well its time to get my fat butt off the recliner and into shape. I have been fairly active but need to get into a better regiment.

My goal is to start running again in the next 2 - 3 weeks

Question(s)

1: Who has started up a exercise regiment after a long lay off and what have you learned on do's and don t's

2: Running how do you start back into a regiment that gets you running, Thinking my mountain bike for one too strengthen legs and cardio...

John..

My back ground,,

19 years as a US Army Non commissioned officer. I've taught, soldiers and collage students alike in that time..So, working with all physical types,, weak and out of shape to strong,, and above my abilities.

Certificates in physical fitness training, a US Army Master Fitness trainer, and hold two Certificates from the American College of Sports Medicine.

Start with a physical, not just a general one,, but tell the doc what you plan on doing.

Stretch before exercise, concentrate on the muscle groups you will be using during the exercise.

Walk,, in the gear you plan on running in.. same clothes, same shoes.

Start at a distance you can go, with out taking a break. 500ft, 1 mile? 2 miles? what ever works for you.

Once you can walk 2 miles.. it's time to start running.

Keep in mind,, you need to workout at a lever that brings your heart rate up,, for at least 20 minutes before your body starts using fat,, less than 20 (give or take depending on who you ask) and your not burning fat.

So now your running,, slow pace,, the object at this point is to run 20 minutes on a known course.

Continue three or 4 times a week, until you can run 20 minutes no stopping.. then up it to 30, then 40, add in as many 10 min segments as you desire. once you get to as long a time as your body, training time allows,, you start working at going that time,, but faster.. you should start seeing a distance increase.

Another method that works for some.. that can already start at the running section,, is to run a known course.. Track the time,, say a 4 mile loop.. Watch as your time decreases,, once it levers off,, increase the distance.

Nothing I said here is ground braking, nor the only way of doing things.. Many others will offer advice. My recommendation is,, if it sounds like a good idea.,, try it The perfect plan for one, is not the same for another.

Your goal is to provide balanced program that has progression, overload, and has some regularity to it.

Want more info, ask,, PM of here

Bronce78 nailed it.

Walk before you run to avoid shin spints and muscle pulls.

Either of these will set you back weeks. Start slow and steady and you will have less problems and get quicker results.

Bronco78 also gives great methods to evaluate when and how to increase time and/or distance.

I wish I had said it. :devil::thumbsup:

Bronco Thanks

Well If I can follow my wife and daughter at a shopping mall, I got the 2 mile thing down, More like 60 :lol:

I am not in the best shape, not in my worst either, Body fat is the main issue, about 30 lbs of it. Other then that I dont get winded walking 2 miles. Shin splints is what I was worried about, Noticed that the shins hurt now but I am walking at a almost lite jog now.

Stretching :thumbsup: So bending over and putting on your shoes dont count then :D good advise should warm up a bit more for sure.

Already did the full physical thing Doc gives me a :devil: to start doing what I need to do "Gradually" thats what prompted the question.

Nutrition I already have been doing, cut out about 99% of the sugars including 0% sodas. Only vise now is coffee. Food is more balanced been doing that for almost a year, Lost almost 15 lbs due to that alone. I get sick to my stomach if I eat anything sweet like pie or a candy bar.

Thanks for the advise, I will get in touch SIR :lol:

Biggest problem is lazy and time :awww:

Hey man, sorry to hear about you prostate problem, that sucks for someone so young as yourself. Hope it's nothing serious!

Anyway, as far as getting in shape. First of all, walking around all day long at a mall is not a workout. A good walking workout consists of a very quick pace, at least 1 mile every 15min., or better. This should be sustained for at least 2 miles every day, but preferably 3 or 4 if you have the time (and no breaks during the walk)

Keeping in mind that your goal is weight loss and aerobic fitness, I won't get into lifting weights. BUT! Once you do lose the weight and become reasonably fit, you should include some sort of weight lifting routine to build strength, increase muscle mass, and increase resting metabolism. There are many other benefits of lifting, but I won't get into all that.

Getting in shape and staying in shape requires a lifestyle change and a commitment to regular, hard workouts. You have to make fitness a priority and stick to it and never give up.

LL

First of all, walking around all day long at a mall is not a workout.

Obvious you don't follow woman around when shopping :thumbsup:

Geez my daughter and wife will put Iron Men to shame :awww::lol::D:lol:

Appreciate the input, :devil:

Body For Life

This program; although demading, will get you the results it sounds you're looking for. Not only does it address strength, wind, cholesterol, and excess body fat, it changes your thinking along more positive lines. You will just radiate confidence and positive energy! :devil: I hired 11 new employees while on the program, largely I believe because how positive I was feeling was exuded to the applicants. Sticking with it is tough at first, but gradually gets easier. I went from 224 down to 198 last fall, and was strong with good air. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon during the holidays :thumbsup: and have not recovered. I'm just about sick of gaining back almost everything that I lost, and about to crank up on another BFL Challenge. It's sure worthy of your consideration, and it is so very structured that you don't feel lost at any time.

Weights are good! (my 2 cents) Bronco knows what he is taling about. But, in addition to what he says, weights add bone density, muscle mass, increase metabolism (Muscles burn calories just sitting there, unlike fat, which is inactive, basically dead weight), and chicks dig it! Just remember to start out slow, stretch consistently, and don't try to be like the cool guys who live in the gym, and curl 50 pounders with their pinky. You will hurt yourself(plus, they have no life, ever see them OUTSIDE the gym). Anyhow, that's what I have to say. Good luck, and don't stop. Soon, you won't be able to. Greg

:thumbsup:

Bronco

Thanks for the tips, I actually ran for the first time yesterday in 10 yeears. Last Back surgury was about then and that is when I stoped running. Felt great, feel good yet, My area or block is abot 1.2 miles, walked at a fast pace to warm up then ran the back half, walked then ran again. so in total I ran about half. Not bad for a 3 back surgical patient and being 47 and 30lbs over weight in my books

Thanks for th advce

Weights are good! (my 2 cents) Bronco knows what he is taling about. But, in addition to what he says, weights add bone density, muscle mass, increase metabolism (Muscles burn calories just sitting there, unlike fat, which is inactive, basically dead weight), and chicks dig it! Just remember to start out slow, stretch consistently, and don't try to be like the cool guys who live in the gym, and curl 50 pounders with their pinky. You will hurt yourself(plus, they have no life, ever see them OUTSIDE the gym). Anyhow, that's what I have to say. Good luck, and don't stop. Soon, you won't be able to. Greg

:cry:

Oh, J-Lo, sorry to hear about the prostate results :cry:, but glad you caught whatever it is early! :cry:

I agree with this here... running can be brutal on the joints, especially as we age, but a nice reasonable cardio/running routine COMBINED with weights 2-3 times a week (or even just start with push-ups, sit-ups, and squats), can do wonders for bone mass, strength, and overall health!

And yes, chicks dig it... :cry:

:cry: