Sign in to follow this  

xr440 jetting w/ new pipe

XR440 with Stroker exhaust,oversized head pipe,pumper carb.

I want to put stock pipe (with gordon mods) on to quiet it down. It should lean it out. The bike is burning oil and smoking. I know I need to rebuild my top end, and I will when I can find the time. But for now I probably wont get a true plug ready for checking the jetting. :thumbsup: Any comments. What kind of performance loss might I expect?

Mule, Bikes don't generally lean out with putting more restrictive stock pipes back. They lean out when you put free flowing mods, like better breathing/louder exhaust or higher flow airboxes. IF you have the bike jetted correct now, you will have to put smaller/leaner jets in it, not the other way around. I just put a free flowing pipe on mine and it would barely run it was so lean, I had to go richer. You, my friend are in the opposite scenario. Good luck. Go leaner for stock pipe.

If you do the Gordon Mods, and replace the stock filter with the K&N, 440 Kit, Billet Choke Plate, you can run what I am for jetting on a stock carb. 158 main 68 pilot, and clip on the 3rd setting of the needle. Stock cam, stock header. Real nice! :thumbsup:

XRated,

Your right it will make it richer. Brain fade! The point I was trying to make is my bike burning oil and smokeing, I think, is going to make it hard to get a true plug reading and zero in the correct jetting.

Mule