Sign in to follow this  

Is the CRF250R enough for me and where to ride in Tidewater area?

I'm attempting to get back into competition again after a 15 year, 3 kid hiatus. My youngest son is interested in racing his CRF50 next year and the bug has bitten me as well. I was racing a 125 back in the day and kind of outgrew it in it's stock form, but now it appears the thumpers are the way to go. My main question is about the '05 CRF250R. I understand that a 4 stroke 250 is approximately equivalent to a 2 stroke 125 and if this is indeed the case should I even consider a 250 or definitely purchase the 450? My stats are 190lb., 6 ft. tall, intermediate.

Also, is there anyone local that can assist me in locating a practice track or public terrain in the Tidewater area of Va.? TIA (Thanks in advance).

I'd ask around at a local dealer for legal riding areas. You might want to also try AMA district 13 for info.

I live in NC and ride the Virginia Hare Scrambles series every chance I get. www.vchss.org to get more info. Great tracks and organization. I started racing hare scrambles after laying off for awhile and love it. MX is too hard on the old bones and the boss doesn't appreciate time off due to injuries.

I love my 250X. I'm 6' 175 lbs and have only wanted more power on a few hill climbs. Otherwise perfect. If doing a lot of sand riding I'd recommend the 450.

The 250f will be enough bike for you, no doubt about that. I know people heavier than you that are faster on a 250f than on a 450f. Of course that all depends on your skill level. You could buy the 250 and hate it. If possible, you should find someone in your area that would be willing to let you check out their bike. You could check mine out if we were closer.

As far as areas to ride go, you should PM TT user "HZRDOS". He lives in the Tidewater area and rides alot. I grew up in Norfolk but have lived most of my adult life between Northern VA and San Diego so I don't know of any riding areas around Tidewater. Good luck!

Are you south of Charlottesville? There's a state park somewhere close. You may want to search the internet?

I have a buddy in Staunton and he's mentioned it a couple of times. Also, there's a MX and hare scrambles track in Dillwyn.