Sign in to follow this  

ESPN is the biggest joke

I just saw this article from a local paper in Philly.

Here's an excerpt:

ESPN turns 25 on Tuesday, wrapping up its summer of programming designed to show how the sports world has changed since 1979, the year ESPN invented the 24-hour, seven-day sports channel.

What's next?

Mark Shapiro, ESPN's 34-year-old executive vice president of programming, will decide. We can't say the energetic Shapiro sat down with us for a one-hour interview about sports trends and the sports network's future. He never sat, pacing around his office the whole time with a wooden baseball that he banged on the floor to emphasize his wide-ranging, rapid-fire points.

...Question: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN.com, ESPN Radio, The Magazine... how much sports does the world need? Isn't there a saturation limit?

A: I often think that there is a saturation limit. But then I turn on the radio in my car, and I'm blown away by the proliferation of sports talk. It's ridiculous.

We're looking at a proposal right now for the Rock Paper Scissors championship in Toronto. They've got 10,000 people coming to watch it, competitors from all over the world. You're telling me that I can't find time for this at 1 o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon?

The whole article is here:

Click Here

What a joke that channel is :thumbsup::devil:

34 yrs old and no clue...Got to get rid of my stock in ESPN if he's making decision. Look around the dial my fresh out of college wet behind the ears want to make change fool. Discovery for example can't show enough of the Tuttle(sp) family fued hr. Their ratings couldn't get any higher except on weekend mornings with the dino shows for kids. Motorcross viewers tune in like my aunt that goes to church. Give us a show every week and we'll be there. I'm so tired of SPEED it should be called the NASCAR Network. Isn't Jim Rome the one that made this rock,paper thing famous by rippin on it?

Dude, just because they don't carry a lot of MX stuff doesn't mean the channel's a joke. If there were really that much interest in watching MX stuff, don't you think they would cover it? Believe me, there are much bigger fish in the sports-world sea.

hah thats funny, i ride by ESPN everday, its about 2 minutes from my house :thumbsup: they have taken over like a 1/2 mile stretch of road, BOTH SIDES! they are crazy..

My cable company is a joke. They dont even carry ESPN2 anymore, so very little MX for me to watch. They replaced it with another MSNBC channel, like I needed another one of those. :thumbsup:

Dude, just because they don't carry a lot of MX stuff doesn't mean the channel's a joke. If there were really that much interest in watching MX stuff, don't you think they would cover it? Believe me, there are much bigger fish in the sports-world sea.

Spoken like a woods rider :thumbsup:

Yea but having MX postponed so they can show a re-run of a hot dog eating contest is just nuts. What's eating hot dogs have to do with sports?

What's eating hot dogs have to do with sports?

nothing. just like the spelling bee, poker, cheerleading competition, ( like that's a sport, give me

a fn break). :thumbsup:

My cable company is a joke. They dont even carry ESPN2 anymore, so very little MX for me to watch. They replaced it with another MSNBC channel, like I needed another one of those. :thumbsup:

ESPN is the most expensive channel that a cable company can carry. It cost more than the entire spread of HBO channels.

Not only is the channel overpriced, but they have been raising the price of it by an average of 20% a year. At that rate, the cost will be somewhere in the range of $10 per subscriber in less than 10 years.

I don't doubt it a bit that a lot of cable companies are dropping some of ESPN's programming. Especially the smaller ones. Customers keep raising hell when the cable companies raise their rates, which are usually on average 5-7% increases, when companies like ESPN are raising their rates 10% a year to the cable companies.

It won't be long before ESPN is a pay channel like HBO is. That way only the ones that actually watch it will have to pay for it instead of everyone. Personally, the 2 races a month they actually show aren't worth the extra money to me. I's drop them like a bad habit if i could.

Here's a little reading for you...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds12426.html

http://www.makethemplayfair.com/#coverage

Spoken like a woods rider :lol:

What the &%$#@! is that supposed to mean? woods rider? What, we're bad people now? :awww::thumbsup:

You, sir, can eat me. :devil:

Spoken like a woods rider :lol:

What the &%$#@! is that supposed to mean? woods rider? What, we're bad people now? :thumbsup::D

You, sir, can eat me. :devil:

Easy there Mr. Squidward :awww: I don't think I want to eat you, more than likely you don't taste very good :lol:

I'll have squirted my entire ink pouch into your eye and escaped before you had your mouth open! :awww:

So try a different derrogatory term to describe chantz, something that a large portion of the dirtbike community isn't part of, and you'll not have retorts. :devil: It's like calling you a typical insulting moronic motocross rider.. Stupid of another rider, no? :thumbsup:

Jeeeeeez Squidward, you are tense man :thumbsup: Your from Niceville, I expected more from you :devil:

*Squirts ink and leaves*

Is there something philosophical that I'm missing in that remark :thumbsup:

Did you read my post or the article? I never mentioned anything about them not carrying MX. The joke is the part about them wanting to cover the Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament. ESPN is a sports channel. And apparantly they're making an argument that hot dog eating contests, spelling bees, poker tournaments and now Rock, Paper, Scissors tournaments are sports. Sorry, I don't buy it. To me, that's a joke.

Did you read my post or the article? I never mentioned anything about them not carrying MX. The joke is the part about them wanting to cover the Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament. ESPN is a sports channel. And apparantly they're making an argument that hot dog eating contests, spelling bees, poker tournaments and now Rock, Paper, Scissors tournaments are sports. Sorry, I don't buy it. To me, that's a joke.

Yeah... a bad joke!! :thumbsup: