Sign in to follow this  

Top mark or ignition timing mark?

Just a couple of quick questions for you guys. I am going to check my valves soon and just want to be certain I know the right way. I have read the old posts about the manual being wrong with the ignition timing mark and top mark, the trouble is my manual is correct...I think? Looking at the grove on the alternator cover the ignition timing mark is the left tick and the top mark is the right tick?? If so my manual is right, so it must be a newer manual or something. Also if you align the top mark, and the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets do not line up where they should, then do you take the chain off and move the sprockets around or something...say if you did take the chain off and were going to put it back together you must not be able to just put the chain on and rotate the crank until the top mark lines up and then magically the camshaft sprocket timing marks line up as well. Thanks for any info...I haven't torn it apart yet so maybe I am looking too much into it.

u have to crank it farther like 2 or 3 more times and when the marks on the camshaft line up with the block check to see if the ignition marks are right and if it does then its ok it wont line up every stroke.(as in every time u rotate it wont line up every time u turn it 360 degrees)