Sign in to follow this  

Need to find cdi iginition for 84 xr250

Been trying to find new cdi ignition module for 84 xr250, nobody seems to have one(local honda shops). Figured I would tap the knowledge of everyone on the sight for the info. I tried Ricksmotorsportselectronics.com but no luck. Any ideas. My buddys old bike is in great shape but kinda dead in the water with out a good ignition system.

Thanks

This is the next to worst XR ever built. Only the 84-85 XR200r is worse. If the ignition failed you probably have more problems than just that. These were terrible about burning up the head / cam / followers / and or crank. Ran much too hot. Hot enough to at times melt off the dip stick .

Throw it away and get at least a 86 or newer XR.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Why couldn't you put on a XR400 oil cooler to get rid of some of the heat on the '84? How hot did they run? Could this oil cooler get rid of enough heat? Anyone ever test?

It would help but probably not enough. Remember this is a 20 year old motorcycle that has probably not but running the best of oils and probably has been heavily abused. They were terrible when new so what could you do now ? The 86 model was SO much better . Remember Honda even went back to the old 2 valve 200 engine after the 4 valve fiasco 200s.

The "83" XR350 wasn't quite as bad but it was bad. The "85" XR350 was a wonderful machine.

Cher'o

Dwight

16 year XR rider

I haven't heard of this model even having trouble with the actual CDI unit. I have owned two of these and they both had the same electrical problem and promptly stopped dead. The problem was with a blown alternator stator coil. The earlier (85-90) XR600's had a similar problem. basically the coils would slowly lose their insulation (through heat) and would eventually fail> I bet this is the problem> you can easily check the condition of your stator with a multimeter set at the 100 ohms setting. pull the connectors apart where they join to the main loom and place a probe into the black/red wire and the other probe to a suitable earth (frame). you should get a reading between 50 and 250 ohms or your stator coil is toast and needs rewiring or replacing. hope this helps.