Sign in to follow this  

Tacoma V6 with automatic trans any good towing bikes on I-70?

Has anybody here used a Tacoma V6 with automatic transmission to tow bikes up the steep passes on I-70? I'm wondering if the automatic could handle it with out shifting back and forth between gears, or would you need a 5 speed. Or should I just stick the old V8?

I've towed two bikes on a trailor from Denver to Grand Junction many times in my little Camry. I've since upgraded to a Tundra, but you'll get there in your Tacoma.

Do you have an enclosed trailer? If not, then ANYTHING should pull your bikes just fine. I use a vw jetta with a 4 cylinder and it did just fine going up parley's canyon (long 6% grade) with one bike on the trailer. I wouldn't take more than 2 bikes up that canyon with this car though.

My 93 toyota 4x4 xcab pulls really well. But thats cause I put a 350 HP turbo supra motor in it (3.0 Inline 6). Soon to be 500 RWHP. Anyway, the 3.4 tacoma v6 will pull just fine. They have a much better motor than the older toyota V6's. If you have problems shifting back and forth between gears with the auto tranny, turn off the Overdrive, and that should help. up really steep stuff leave the auto in 2nd gear.

My 93 toyota 4x4 xcab pulls really well. But thats cause I put a 350 HP turbo supra motor in it (3.0 Inline 6). Soon to be 500 RWHP. Anyway, the 3.4 tacoma v6 will pull just fine. They have a much better motor than the older toyota V6's. If you have problems shifting back and forth between gears with the auto tranny, turn off the Overdrive, and that should help. up really steep stuff leave the auto in 2nd gear.

Alright Nate. Now I want more details on your motor swap. Was it a bolt up or did you have to fabricate a bunch of stuff?

mx

I should clarify my question. Assuming I'm buying a '04 V6 Tacoma (3.4L, not the '05 4.0 L), should I get an automatic or a manual tranny?

Right now I have an old 1/2 ton Silverado with a 350 in it, and a newer 4 cyl. manual Tacoma, and neither one is that great on the long hills pulling 1000 lbs. Need to upgrade but I'm unsure about reliability and performance with an automatic transmission on a small V6.

But I think Gratefuldawg and Nate pretty much answered my question. Thanks guys.

But if anyone else has input, (also about other issues like the cracked exhaust manifold problems) let me know.