Sign in to follow this  

Round 3 Music City USA Predictions

Round 3 of the AMA Supermoto Series is just around the corner. Who’s going to win, Bend rims over the UrbanCross, or just break and end up singing the blues?

Will the DRZ450 make a positive impression? :thumbsup:

Will Thumper Talks expert Doug Chandler’s Husqvarna be up to par? :devil:

Can KTM pull of the perfect unlimited season? :awww:

#6 on the box and 343 in the top ten...got the bikes running SWEET!!!

Trice, look forward to your report.

Did Mark fall down?

Mark was about 7th or 8th thru the first corner...bad start. Worked his way up to 4th having set his sights on Filmore. Gained a bike length or two on Chris for the next few laps, then oput of nowhere Kunzel is right on Mark's back wheel! mark steped it up and actually put about 5 bike lengths on Kunzel in ONE lap. Good thing the levelers were down on the transporter, cause I was going nuts on top LOL. Then mark slowed way down and just circulated for 2 laps. Just got back from the shop...tore his bike down. Originally thought it might have been the lower rod bearing, but came to find the wrist pin had snapped in two! It took out the small end of the rod and the piston. No other damage.

I really felt bad as mark was really riding well, and I thought a podium finish was his...BUT!

Other than that everything went real well I thought, so all we can do is get ready for So. Boston.

Mark rides the crap out of his bike and I just need to step it up so I can give him a bike that will take the checkered.

Matt and I are clicking better every week. I have finally come up with a setup he is comfortable with. For So. Boston he will have the same motor setup as mark as I have been trying to find out what works best with SM, as I come from the DT background. Matt had to come thru the semi where he qualified easily...so thats 3 Mains in a row for him, so he just needs to step it up a bit to break the top 10.

I am really getting comfortable with the new team and they are all a great bunch of people to work with. It's always easier(and harder) to work with riders of the calibre of mark and matt.

Side note.

Got to pit next to the Team Suzuki guys...the wrenches I knew(they are from Mi.)but I got the chance to meet Travis for the first time.

Travis is a class act! He is one of the most personable, freindly people I have ever met. Most all the new people I have met since I started doing this series have been absolutely terrific...great people! Tdub

thanks for the report t-dub.

pastrami second in his heat and 10th overall........good to see.im glad he stayed on the bike.

looks like another drz was there as well.at least something yellow out there! :devil:

:thumbsup:

Thumper Talk member Brandon Currie keeps getting faster, he finished 11th at Nashville....

{749DF733-4298-45BB-BBC2-5BF436B4CC84}.jpg

Most of you that race at Grange know Justin Ross, here's a cool pic...

{354A6B7D-37DE-4A74-9402-3C7AF3260199}.jpg

What a bizarre machine weekend. From the time we got there to when we left, I fought a rear brake problem the whole time on Pucho's bike. It did the same thing at Copper, it would work one corner then not the next, or it may work the whole race. He came in after the first practice session and said it was working fine. The first qualifying session it worked the first half of the race then quit while he was leading Ward.

Then during Superpole the rear brake worked for the first lap then quit for the dirt section, then worked again, then quit on the timed lap when he went for it coming into the first dirt turn and just about dumped over the back of the bike. I ran enough fluid through that brake system to do 20 bikes and still inconsistency in a big way.

Pucho rode to 5th in the main after having it dump all the coolant out the overflow in the first 3 laps when it overheated on the starting line and couldn't get cool again. The rings are formed like the piston, they have no tension against the cylinder.

The Vertimati popped the decompressor arm out the top of the cylinder head while behind Kunzel in a distant second, and had a 8 second cushion on Dymond.

It wasn't the best weekend but, it wasn't too bad either considering the 450 results. I'm amazed it stayed together, the inside of the head has oil baked to it so bad it looks like chocolate frosting on a cake.

Joel Tarquin finished 10 in the Unlimited, Don Hart finished in 17 in the 450s. Greg Kauk beat himself and his wheels to death on the 3rd and 4th lap of the first pratice when he flat landed twice over the Urban Abuse ramp. Jeff Harrington is out with a broken collarbone.

Tony

HC- Could the rear disc be bent or warped, knocking the pistons back causing the loss of the brake until it gets pumped back up?

MotoGreg-Thanks for pointing out the TT members in the 2wf photos! As long as it is not a hurricane washout, I will be looking for TT members at South Boston this weekend. I will be spectating, not riding.

Mike

:thumbsup:

The disc is true, the hub is true, the line was replaced, the caliper, the master cylinder, and a LOT of bleeding. Sometimes you push the brake lever down and it just sinks to the bottom of it's travel, the next hit on the lever and it works and is solid. It's not OEM stuff either. It's like the master cylinder is bypassing.

Tony

With the inconsistantcy in doesen't sound like it, but could the pads be dragging too much and causing heat fade?

Nope, you can handle the caliper afterwards with a rag so, they are not smoking hot. Back to the OE stuff with good pads.

Tony

Tony, where were you? I saw a few bikes with ticeman.com stickers but I didn't see you? I would have liked to meet you and check out your stuff. I finally got to meet the infamous Tdub. He's a really cool guy, and showed me a lot of things on the bike :thumbsup:. I also met MotoGreg, Gary Trachy, Pastrana, Kunzel and a few others. Overall I had a great time and wish I could make it to all the races :devil: Chris

Tdub, Braking, both sets of them.

Chrome, right behind the Michelin van and HMC guys. Are you going to S.B.? I'll be there too. You probably seen me as I probably seen you. I was the short, fat, fu man chu mustache guy running around bumping off the Vert with the brimmed hat on and sun burned face and head. :devil: Changing tires and bleeding brakes, cussing at the over heated Honda. With the really pretty lady following me around everywhere. :thumbsup:

Tony

Get this, it was the wheel bearings on one set of wheels. The bearing was rough feeling and must have buzzed the caliper enough to foam the brake fluid in the caliper and line. The reason there was always air when I bled it and the reason one time they would work and the next time completely inconsistent. Learn something everyday. Plus I had a little helpful hint from Paul Brent!!!! :lol::thumbsup::devil::awww:

Tony