Sign in to follow this  

Resting your weight on the footpegs.

Hi, i'm having trouble trying to rest my weight on the footpegs, mainly when accelerating. I was wondering if there are any routines i could do to help me learn this technique.. Cheers!

One of Gary's videos shows a drill that I've seen other places as well. Stand on the pegs and gently alternate between accelerating and decelerating, as you lean forward and back to stay balanced. During this drill, you don't hold onto the bike with your knees -- you want to be balanced well enough that it only takes light input on the bars to move your body forward and back in anticipation of the accel/decel. It's like balancing a stick on your hand as you walk faster and then slow down -- you need to anticipate the accel/decel, and set up the balance point just before the accel/decel happen.

Practice this in an easy flat area, and then add a little firmer accel/decel and work more on your balance. Then add in turns and hill transitions, all while you work on balancing on the pegs standing. In the end, you should be able to ride your favorite track or trail all standing (this is another common drill). As I said in a recent thread about this, you really get an appreciation for how important it is to put most of your weight on the outside peg and your outside knee hard into the tank when you're taking turns fast while standing -- very enlightening!

Give the drill a try, and let us know how it goes. Welcome to TT BTW! -Mike- :thumbsup:

berkeman----that is a great explanation, and such an importaint technique to understand-------you must be able to do this automatically,--it must be ingrained in your mind and your autoreflex subsystem and be done without thinking--------lead and be foward win accelorating, and be back when braking,------and no coasting !!

Yeah that was a great explanation thanks for that :thumbsup:

I am a complete beginner and my last outing was practising leaning back while braking, i found it hard forcing myself to practise but after i did finish i felt like a way better rider!

I also tried balancing my weight on the footpegs but that didn't go down so well :devil: i think its because i was accelerating to fast rather than taking it slowly at first and then going faster & faster...

Thanks for the replies :awww:

PS. When im practising this weight on pegs drill should i not grip the seat at all? like when going up/downhills etc?

PS. When im practising this weight on pegs drill should i not grip the seat at all? like when going up/downhills etc?

Right. Especially when doing it as a drill, you want to force yourself to get the balance right, so no gripping the seat to cheat. After you get the balance mostly right, then you can make the drill more advanced by going faster, to the point where you're sliding corners and wheeling out. To do this, you will need to hold on just a little with your knees (but not much), and push hard in with your outside knee into the tank. You still have most of your weight on the outside peg, but you need to push in with your outside knee to help the bike turn.

The places where you usually need to use your knees to hold onto the bike are in stuff like whoops or other sharp bumps that try to pull the bars forward with a yank -- instead of pulling with your arms and toasting them, grip with your knees at the instant of the yank, then loosen them again. This absorbs the yank force with your legs, and keeps your arms from getting worn out. The other place where a knee grip helps a LOT is when you transition from standing/braking to sitting into a corner. Control your sit-down motion by squeezing briefly on the tank with your knees, so that the friction controls your sit-down motion (instead of using your arms to control the sit-down). Especially when the corner entry is at the bottom of a hill, this really helps to keep your arms from getting tired.

BTW, here's an old thread that talks more about the balance thing and the heel-lock trick. Have fun at the track! :thumbsup:

Balance & Tips

I finally got round to practising this drill and what a difference it makes! My legs are aching more than usual but it was well worth it :cry:

For such a small thing it makes a nice difference to your riding, its hard to explain but it feels more 'natural,' plus standing while turning is a great feeling the first time, but i've got an idea i'm doing the technique wrong. I can't help tucking my elbows in when standing & turning at the same time :cry:

Do the same techniques as sitting apply when standing? (when turning)

Cheers!

Do the same techniques as sitting apply when standing? (when turning)

Pretty much, you just don't go quite as fast when standing. I've been finding lately that pushing the outside knee hard into the tank really helps to turn the bike in (sitting or standing), and it seems to automatically lift up my outside elbow as the bike turns in.

One other tip from a private lesson with Terry Bostard -- when you turn the throttle with your right hand, turn it like you're turning a doorknob. You don't turn on the throttle by lowering your elbow and flexing your wrist down. You turn on the throttle with your elbow out and a doorknob twisting motion.

Give the knee jab and doorknob tricks a try, and see if that makes it feel more natural. Yee-haw! I can't wait for tomorrow morning! :cry::cry:

Great Thread.

Not long ago, I read this from Berkeman as well, and after trying it, I can't believe the difference.

I find that as soon as I start getting arm pump, I'm not doing it. I'm relying too much on my arms to move me around and not using my weight to anticipate decel or accel. So I slow down and start practicing doing it again, and waalaa, I'm back in business.

this was very enlightening to learn.

The Door Knob trick works great too (thanks again Berkeman), I've not very good at this yet (read, I don't remember to do it all the time), but it seems like the ONLY way to get that elbow up with success.

Now the knee trick, I've not tried or heard that one yet, so thank you.

Again, thanks Berkeman, and Kelstr. Both of you have been a huge help to me in the past (though you may not know since I've not posted my comments). So anyway, thanks both of you.

Again, great topic, and HUGE IMOP in helping riders move to the next level.

Also remember!! to build up your leg muscles. Running on a treadmill, or cycle bike helps build stamina. Doing these drills does nothing for you, if you are out of shape. One starts to make mistakes on the track, because fatigue sets in, and your focus on technique fades. I jog 4 miles at 5mph, on the treadmill 3 times a week. I can outride and outlast all of my friends. While they pant for breath on the sidelines, I am riding and riding. Cardio all the way!!! :cry: Cut back on the greasy food helps too!

Also remember!! to build up your leg muscles. Running on a treadmill, or cycle bike helps build stamina. Doing these drills does nothing for you, if you are out of shape. One starts to make mistakes on the track, because fatigue sets in, and your focus on technique fades. I jog 4 miles at 5mph, on the treadmill 3 times a week. I can outride and outlast all of my friends. While they pant for breath on the sidelines, I am riding and riding. Cardio all the way!!! :cry: Cut back on the greasy food helps too!

Of course, being out on an EXTENDED vacation, and getting a lot more practice in, didn't have anything to do with that.. ? :cry:

I suppose if I rode by bicycle more often, and started using the tread mill more, I might start keeping up.. but remember: it's not that I'm running out of breath, it's that my hands hurt... I NEED ONE OF THOSE HAND EXCERCISER THINGYS... Maybe a bar snake, or inserts will help by cutting down on vibration... hmm... :cry:

ENJOY your vacation! (is that what you are calling it?) When my lungs get better, we'll see if I can keep up! hehe :cry:

I am on a bike again after my start was interrupted 4 years ago. Thanks for the great tips guys. My difficulty is instead of shifting while sitting and having my foot leave the peg like Gary says- how do I shift more easily while standing. People tell me you don't have to feel it and to use the inside of my boots. I use Fox Formas and I am set up with my shifter up one spline from stock. The local spot for me is 100% whoops and turns- hard to find time to shift. Thanks everyone! Cheers! :cry:

My difficulty is instead of shifting while sitting and having my foot leave the peg like Gary says- how do I shift more easily while standing. People tell me you don't have to feel it and to use the inside of my boots. I use Fox Formas and I am set up with my shifter up one spline from stock.

Welcome Mike. Is the difficulty downshifting or upshifting? With the shift lever up one spline notch from stock like you, I'm able to downshift under braking and upshift accelerating (by lifting my foot up under the lever) okay. Which one isn't working for you?

Great thread here--

I tried the drill today--the standing and pushing my knee into the side-what a huge difference! I also moved my shifter as suggested, so now I can shift standing--here is my question--when doing the accel/decel thing standing, I find myself on or near the balls of my feet and well forward-I still find my self gripping the seat to keep from holding on with all my arm strength if I don't grip. I tried it in more of a crouched position and it felt better, but it was more tiring. Is this the right position? The centrifugal force of the accel is pretty hard to overcome, especially when it is so abrupt. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Also did the whole track standing-very good tip

My coaches have taught me to stand on the arches of my feet, so it's easier for me to stay balanced against accel/decel, especially with the heel lock trick added in. But many/most coaches (including Gary Semics) teach riding on the balls of your feet, so you should be able to stay balanced that way as well. Maybe try riding on the arches a bit with your heels locked in to see if that helps you get the feel for balancing against accel, and then try to work your way up onto the balls of your feet more. When I ride on my arches, I pretty much just have to bend my knees a little bit to angle my toes down on the pegs and lean forward for the accel.

Dick Burleson had a great article in Dirt Rider (I think) a while back about body position while standing. He bends more with his upper body to change his position, rather than do a lot of bending and straightening of the legs. Watch the pro MX guys ride the outdoor series on OLN -- the top guys have a real relaxed and balanced standing position :D

Thanks-I'll search the heel lock from a previous thread. I think I'm going to move my handlebars a little more forward also. I'll post when I give it a shot--Thanks a million---------