Sign in to follow this  

Out of Petrol (Gas)

Ok...it had to happen sometime. Ive had the DRZ 3 months and was a bit tardy filling it up yesterday evening, hit reserve at 100 miles (just been conservatively commuting), thought I was due at least another 40 odd, when it conked out going down hill after 130 miles.

Freewheeled it about 1/2 mile, and then pushed it 400 metres to the local petrol station.

Odd thing was that there was still some gas in there, cos I opened her up and sloshed it about - whereabouts is the fuel drain from the tank? would going downhill accentuate the fuel drying up? I couldnt start her on the flat, so just wheeled her in.

Will try not to do that again in a hurry!

On one of my 220 miles commute trips last year,, Mine died 1000 meters from the next off ramp,, where I was planning on exiting off and buying gas... I laid the bike over on the left side,,, got just a splash of gas from the right tank half,,, enough to start it up and get me down the off ramp and to the station... Not a planned event for sure,.. But I got away with it once :thumbsup:

I was just going to suggest that. There is always a little left on the right side of the tank because of the way it wraps around the frame/engine.

Heh... You guys were lucky... :thumbsup: I ran out of gas 15 miles into the woods.. Thanks to a big hill and a cell phone, got my buddies to come out with a can of gas. :devil: What are friends for? :awww:

You guys need to use that trip odometer. Reset it every fill and know when she runs out and youll be fine. I ran it out one time. Hasnt happened since. :devil::thumbsup:

You guys need to use that trip odometer. Reset it every fill and know when she runs out and youll be fine. I ran it out one time. Hasnt happened since. :devil::thumbsup:

Nate,, that might work if your riding a street bike,,or long non stop dirt stuff... but off road on the type of trails I ride,, mileage is a widely verying thing for a gal of gas.

150 $,s sounds like alot untill you have to push your bike to a gas station?? or worse if you run out somewhere in the wilderness!!!. Spend the money for a bigger tank!!, and don't forget that MPG changes with the ride!!. I get 55 MPG riding my bike back & forth to work but average about 40 if I'm riding hard offroad!!! :thumbsup: