The DRZ400SM is going to happen!!!

Hey Everyone,

I got a call today from a buddie at a Suzuki dealer. They have annouced to dealers that the DRZ400S is going to be offered for $6099 in Supermoto trim. They have it in the new Suzuki book WITH NO PICTURES!!! It is a street legal version ,so I'm sure it will be using the CV carb. ?

He said the arrival date is set for March 2005!! :devil:

Hey Everyone,

I got a call today from a buddie at a Suzuki dealer. They have annouced to dealers that the DRZ400S is going to be offered for $6099 in Supermoto trim. They have it in the new Suzuki book WITH NO PICTURES!!! It is a street legal version ,so I'm sure it will be using the CV carb. ?

He said the arrival date is set for March 2005!! :devil:

Posted at 12:00 today :awww:

Link

Picture link

PICTURE

Even with big brakes and a 4pot caliper, it shouldn't cost 1 dime more that an S. Just not that trick. I was refering to old tech. It won't be competitive and the price is aproaching the "I can buy alot of others for that much " zone. After they don't sell, you can beat them down on price to get it out of the dealers way ?

that sucks. i was hoping it would atleast have been a 450. oh well.

I was also hoping for an updated DRZ450 in 05 or 06, but this bike pretty much confirms that Suzuki is committed to this chassis and body design for at least a few more years. I love riding the bike, but it could definitely lose a few pounds and it would look way better with some more modern plastic. The new front end looks great!

IMO, the $6k area is a great price for a bike like this. That's way cheaper than any 450MX, way more bike for the dollar.

But its not really old tech since there are no more modern street motos but KTM and they have dropped thiers, and its a street bike not a race bike so its not really slower that what Honda and Yamaha and Kawasaki have to offer to us.

I have built 2 supermotos to date and $6099 is really cheap for a bike with wheels and big brakes, beleive me, even if the motor is down on ponies. ?

Even with big brakes and a 4pot caliper, it shouldn't cost 1 dime more that an S. Just not that trick. I was refering to old tech. It won't be competitive and the price is aproaching the "I can buy alot of others for that much " zone. After they don't sell, you can beat them down on price to get it out of the dealers way ?

Redrodent, I think you'll be waiting a LOOOONNNGGG time to beat your dealer down for this bike. At $6k, this bike is going to fly off the showroom floor, at least around here. There's just no competition for it right now (the KTM is not really legal here).

The cost over an S is definitely justified. I'm looking for inverted fork for my S right now, and the price is pretty darn steep. I expect to spend $1000 by the time I'm done.

I have built 2 supermotos to date and $6099 is really cheap for a bike with wheels and big brakes,

Yep, exactly. If a CRF or RMZ 450 is worth $6500+ MSRP, what should this bike be worth? $6100 sounds pretty good to me. IMO, the DRZ dirt and dual-sport models have competition and the price reflects that, the SM is alone out there. Now we just need a street legal CRF450SM to drive the price down! ?

I'm just of the opinion that SM won't take off in the US. It will always be a cult.We are the land of mines bigger, faster, shiny , horsepower, etc.. What... 40Hp :devil:... next. Don't get me wrong. My street DRZe SM is the best bike ever in the metropolitian area I live in.Amazes everyone who tries it. It's just a 400 single for the street is unamerican ?

I had my DRZ pass inspection here in PA with the supermoto set up on it. This bike will be successful, but IMO a street supermoto needs more displacement and HP. If the XR650R was a little less bulky and had the magic E start button and big brakes with 17's I would stand in line for one today!! :devil: The KTM Duke would probably be a fun bike too, but its a KTM!! :awww:?

It's great that one of the Japanese big three is going to offer a SM model for the U.S., and at $6k, I think the DR-Z motard is a good value. The bike will probably get great reviews, but the unfortunate reality is that most U.S. motorbike buyers want cruisers or sportbikes. A 400cc thumper? That's just not manly enough for a bad boy biker wanna-be. So the DR-Z motard probably won't have enough mainstream appeal to justify more than 1-2 years of sales. The same thing happened to the Honda GB500 and the Kawasaki W650 - - - great bikes that continue to sell well everywhere in the world except the U.S.