Sign in to follow this  

First oil change, what do i buy for 03 crf450r

after reading the old posts, no thoughts were very overwhelming regarding what oil to use. does anyone have any new data on what oil to use for tranny and engine. local dealer is out of the honda oil that is recommended, should i wait on that or switch to something else. also what about synthetic?

john s

here we go again... :thumbsup:

The important thing to recognize here is how often to change the oil and not what oil to use.

What i use for my 02 crf 450 is the 15w-50 Mobil oil with the red cap. i put 3/4 a quart on the trannie side and 700cc on the engine side. I use this oil because you can use it on both sides and its a little bit cheaper. You also need to make sure you change your oil filter. Either go to you local bike shop and get them there or get them off of e-bay (much cheaper) and order like 5 for $20 instead of payin like $8 per filter at the shop.

I also use Mobil 1 15-50 in the red cap. I used it for my YZF and now I use it for the CRF.

700 cc on the engine side, 600 cc on the tranny side. I change it every three rides.

I buy oil filters from www.cyclegear.com HiFlo brand. I buy 10 at a time for less than $3 each delivered to my door.