Sign in to follow this  

Who's done what with opening the 03 WR airbox???

I drilled two 2.25 inch holes in the side under side panel.It breaths well but requires alot more filter cleaning.

to be honest, i haven't done anything....

i tried it for a few minutes once without the side panel on...airbox totally open.....i only notice a small diffence.

to me, it's not worth the extra dirt, grit and dust particles to open it up any more....

i've heard of guys relocating the battery to open up the top under the seat, too.

in my opinion, if you do all the free mods. do some aftermarket mods. i,e., exhaust, JD kit, YZ cam timing, etc., you don't need the airbox opened up.

1. I removed the top cover where the battery mounts.

2. Bought a 2.9AH battery (1/2 the size of the stock 4 AH).

3. Installed the 2.9AH with a sheet metal bracket in stock location.

Results: 1/2 the top of the airbox is open. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure of the gains, I did it all when the snow covered the earth. :devil:

I just pulled the snorkle out of the top of the air box. I am not sure how much improvement I got because I did several free mods at once and that definately made a difference. I do lots of woods and dusty mountain road riding and really don't need all the extra dust in the filter. Unless you are racing and looking for that last squeek of horse power out of your engine, just pull the snorkle out.

I just pulled the snorkle out of the top of the air box. I am not sure how much improvement I got because I did several free mods at once and that definately made a difference. I do lots of woods and dusty mountain road riding and really don't need all the extra dust in the filter. Unless you are racing and looking for that last squeek of horse power out of your engine, just pull the snorkle out.

I did the mods one by one. First the airbox snorkle. Went to a UNI, then the Twinn Air! It seem to me that the bike was breating quit a bit better. Then I did the grey wire mod. You will have to dial in your carb accelerator pump settings. Then You Will Have A Screamer!!