Sign in to follow this  

Bike for the wife? She's not afraid of anything but she's small.

I'm shopping for a bike for my wife. She's never ridden a motorcycle before aside from putting my bikes around. I know I don't want to get her to learn on a 125 2 stroke, you've got to have it pinned the whole time to go anywhere. I also know I don't want any of the "beginner" bikes like a TT or anything, she'd outgrow that fast. She's raced late model cars so she's not afraid of much, but she's only 5'5" and 130lbs. This leaves the 250F's, either the YZ, CR, or RM. However, I've never ridden any of them. Are they as nasty to ride fast as the two strokes I'm used to? I can turn laps normally as quick on a 125 as on a 250 it just takes a LOT more effort. I want something that she can grow into, no out of, but definitely not something as finicky as a 125 two stroke. What do you think?

CRF230X? :thumbsup:

That's the CRF230F. A Fun Fun trail bike. Great learner bike, and will be your friend for many moons. I've owned mine for almost two years. It's a blast to ride. It's got the e-start, is not too tall in the seat. It's a little heavier than two-smokes but it's very nimble when trail riding, single track, hillclimbing, etc.

Good luck,

DD

I'm shopping for a bike for my wife. She's never ridden a motorcycle before aside from putting my bikes around. I know I don't want to get her to learn on a 125 2 stroke, you've got to have it pinned the whole time to go anywhere. I also know I don't want any of the "beginner" bikes like a TT or anything, she'd outgrow that fast. She's raced late model cars so she's not afraid of much, but she's only 5'5" and 130lbs. This leaves the 250F's, either the YZ, CR, or RM. However, I've never ridden any of them. Are they as nasty to ride fast as the two strokes I'm used to? I can turn laps normally as quick on a 125 as on a 250 it just takes a LOT more effort. I want something that she can grow into, no out of, but definitely not something as finicky as a 125 two stroke. What do you think?

If she can handle the height (and LOTS of shorter people do... she's not THAT small! :D) I think the biggest problem, when your a little short on your bike, is kickstarting it... :D

The 250Fs are NOT NEARLY as 'finicky' as the 125... I learned on a 125 for about 5 months, and it taught me a lot about clutch control... but was a pain in the @ss. :devil: Then I had a 250 2-smoke... eeek! Way to soon in my off road career for me to have THAT beast! :awww: The 250f, by comparison, feels like cheating... TONS of power, smoother delivery, dang, the thing almost rides itself! NIIIICE! AND its light! :thumbsup:

And I can't see outgrowing my yz250f... maybe adding more stuff to tweak more power, but outgrowing? Naw... unless you're more into dunes or Baja type rides, I suppose... I've thought about a 450 in my future for that type of riding! :lol:

:lol:

dude im smaller then your wife and I ride my RM fine, you do need to keep it on the gas most of the time but that just adds to the fun :thumbsup: I'd get a KX125 for her or a CRF250. My RM is nimble and feels light but the power delivery isnt the best for a beginner..the KX and CR are supposedly have good powerbands. I rode a 99' yz125 and it had alot of torque. Try to let her ride some of those bikes and see what she likes.

I am thinking a CR500

Or a ATK 700

How about a KTM 525

KX 500??

Just some suggetions I doubt she would outgrow any of the above!!!!

It's up to you. She might learn better on a beginner bike like a CRF230F or XR200R. If she crashes a lot and gives up, you're screwed. I'd look for a used 230F as a starter bike, then sell it when she out grows it, which could be a few years.

I have an XR200 and it's fun to ride on occasion. It's only 2" lower than my XR400, but it feels like I'm half way to the ground. The difference is huge. I can't tip over, I'm already there. Get on the XR200 in a pack of my friends and I'd be miserable. Ride it alone, just goofing around, it's fun. Get on your wife's XR200 and climb a hill that the XR400 following fails to climb. (That was embarrasing for me.) The XR200 does have kind of a dull motor. No big hit or rush, just putts along using torque picking up speed.

The Gas-Gas Pampera was a favorite amoung women as it was a small bike with a 280cc trials engine in the frame. Heck, I'd like to have one.

Of the 125 class bikes, including the 250cc 4-strokes, the CRF250X might be the best choice. The Honda has the lowest seat height of the group and the X has more torque than the MX model.