Sign in to follow this  

Baffle/ Jetting XR 200

Ok, so I've got one bike with the baffel out, it goes fine. Another with the baffel in, it also goes fine. Want the debaffeled exhaust on the other bike. But when i swap they run ragged. How do I get around this without swapping the carbies aswell? (I'm assuming it's jetting)

John

Guys, any help is appriciated, cause I've got The 91 with the baffel now in to run a bit better but can't try the 96 as I'm waiting on some piston rings.

Remove the float bowls and you can see the pilot and main jets.

Remove the jets and write down the numbers.

The change to the pilot jet for the XR250 when "uncorking" is not great". I don't have any jetting numbers for "uncorked" XR200's as mine has the baffle installed.

So do you mean to go and buy new 250 jets, for the 200? Is there nothing I can do with that clip on the main jet needle at all? Or just adjusting the pilots etc.

John

Also Both bikes were running ok before i swapped the exhaust so i might just swap the jets/needles out of them.

No. I'm am just saying that uncorking the 250 does not require major changes to the jetting, so the same could be true of the XR200.

Open exhaust and intake = more air.

More air = needs more fuel to balance out.

You restriced one bike and opened up the other bike.

Did both bike has stock jetting?

You might need to swap the jetting and exhausts. The big bolt on the bottom of the carb is the float bowl drain. Turn off the gas, put a rag under the carb, and remove the bolt. This will make the main jet accessible. Remove it and see what size is the main jet.

On the front bottom of the carb, is the fuel screw. This adjusts the pilot jet. Turning this slowly should increase or decrease the engine idle as the fuel mixture is adjusted. When set properly the idle should be at maximum. Open it 1/8 turn more. The fuel screw should be between 1 to 3 turns out from fully seated. If left too many turns out, it could fall out. If turning it seems to have no affect, you have the wrong pilot jet size.

Cool I'll try that as soon as the weather clears up and the parts come in for the '96, I've ordered a Haynes Workshop Manuel for the XR so that should help a lot too.

John