Sign in to follow this  

Tire usage?

Howdy, I'm a road racer thinking about getting into SuperMoto and was wondering...

How often do you go through tires on a supermoto during practice? Can you get a couple days practice on a set or do you wear them out pretty quick?

I'm just trying to estimate costs for the sport before I jump in.

Thanks

Stuman,

I race a 250F with soft compound Dunlop slicks front and rear. They have been on for 4 race days and 1,3 hour practice day. They are still looking and working good.

I ran Dunlop 207GP's before that. They had 4 race days and 1 all day practice. I'm sure the 450's will be harder on

tires. Not to mention how abrassive your track surface(s) are and of course how hard you work them. I am building a 450 over the winter. I hope you get some responses from some 450 guys, I'm curious about how the tire wear compares to a 250. Good Luck.

Howdy, I'm a road racer thinking about getting into SuperMoto and was wondering...

I'm just trying to estimate costs for the sport before I jump in.

Thanks

roadracing vs supermoto costs? that's easy, take the total cash you dump into roadracing and divide by 9! :thumbsup: the difference in tires and $20 for a trackday make it difficult to even compare.

roadracing vs supermoto costs? that's easy, take the total cash you dump into roadracing and divide by 9! :thumbsup: the difference in tires and $20 for a trackday make it difficult to even compare.

That doesn't really help me a whole lot. I know the cost for supermoto will be less.

I'm just trying to get an idea for the costs related to tires.

Stuman,

I race a 250F with soft compound Dunlop slicks front and rear. They have been on for 4 race days and 1,3 hour practice day. They are still looking and working good.

I ran Dunlop 207GP's before that. They had 4 race days and 1 all day practice. I'm sure the 450's will be harder on

tires. Not to mention how abrassive your track surface(s) are and of course how hard you work them. I am building a 450 over the winter. I hope you get some responses from some 450 guys, I'm curious about how the tire wear compares to a 250. Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply, that gives me some idea of how much I will be spending on tires. I will probably get a 450 so it would be nice to hear from some of those guys as well.

Stuman,

Supermoto bikes seem to be easier on the front tires then a street bike, I think because they are lighter they do not work the tire as hard. I can do a race on a new front then run on it until the next race. So I could put four to six good days on a front before I would think about changing it. That is the softest compound front I can get as well. The rear is not as good, at least not for me. If I use a soft rear I can burn two up in an afternoon. The medium compound will last about a day and a half for me. The differance between the two is the soft one is fast for ten to fifteen laps, then it starts to drop. The medium is a little slower, two to three tenth on a thirtyone second lap track, but then they start to cross, the harder tire hold it's times and the softer one starts to slow down. I have friends that run the same tires I do and they get two to three times more life on theirs than what I get on mine. The front I would say to get the softer one you will not have any trouble, the rear is you call but I would go for the harder one just to get more riding time than working time. The street tires work almost as good as the slicks, so what ever you can get the best deal on to get laps in I would go that way. Check with some of the shops and racers on there take offs, the fronts would be an O.K. way to go, the rears might be a little harder to find. Most of the supermoto bikes run a 165. All the new steet bikes I know are at least a 180.

Hope this was some help DC