Sign in to follow this  

AP Timing Adjustment Rod?

In the manual and on the FAQ page it says to (tuck under the throttle valve plate (1) the rod (2) or other suitable spacer with the proper outer diameter)

My question is. Where do you find this rod? Is it supposed to come with the bike? If not what do you use in place of it?

you can use a drill bit. just lay it on it's side and use it to gauge how how the bottom of the slide is when the pump just starts to squirt

the manual shows an illustration doing it.

Use a number drill bit. These are commonly available, and a #55 or #56 will get you within .003" of the correct size. If you can't find these a 3/64" is pretty close too.

I agree with that. It's not so critical that a couple of thousandths will make a difference. The quest is to have the AP squirting as soon as possible, without hitting the slide as it goes up.

I bought a #55 & #56 (very close indeed) but then I took off my subframe (had to replace shock spring) and got a good look at the plate. It is not anywhere near the 1.25mm from the bottom. Does the position of the plate really matter?

I went ahead and adjusted the AP so it did not have any slack in it. Definitely did not hit the slide and it was a very short squirt. Have a 40 leak jet on order.