Sign in to follow this  

CRF 150 Front wheel "washes out"

It feels like the front wheel on my wife's 04 CRF 150 looses traction very easily on even mild turns. Has anyone else had this experience? Just trying to get an idea if it may be the geometry of the bike before I start buying new tires, etc.

I rode a bone stock 150 and felt it handled well. It had the stock Pirelli's. It may be your riding style or position on the bike while turning. If so, you may need to change things up a bit(including tires) to make the bike suit your style. Everybody's different......

Did you lower the rear shock as much as can to fit a short rider ? IF so, Try setting the sag on the rear shock to normal, or 1/3 of full travel.

Haven't made any changes to the suspension and noticed it at slow speeds. I thought I'd check to see if the Perelli had given anyone problems before I started a full investigation, which sounds like the next step. Well, I guess I'll have to go riding this weekend. Oh darn! :thumbsup:

If everything else checks out, it's probably the stock Pirelli.

Mine washes out easily, and I have to work harder in the turns.

That's probably a good thing tho'. Great practice until I install my new Kenda Carlsbad front.

the stock brazillian perelli's are junk. Coupled with the soft front springs and a good disc bake you've got yourself a washout machine. Try the dunlop 756 it made a huge difference for me. If this is your wife's ;)bike and your riding it more than she is I'd suggest some bbr springs too.

Wonderchicken nailed it! my 150 handled decently when new but as the springs and oil broke in the frontend became very, very sloppy. it would wash in corners and on really abrupt jump faces. i changed to a dunlop 756 thinking it would help. not much difference. i changed the fork oil to a heavier weight (can't remember exactly.. sorry) and bingo. if you really want to make a difference install the heavier bbr spings. anyway the tire does suck but isn't the total answer.

You might try just lowering the forks a little this will change your bike's handling to be a little faster and a little heavier on the front. This will also get the bike back to the "factory specs." if you only lowered the back. :thumbsup: Nine out of ten it is problably the tire if it looks weak.

get those pirrelis off of there

i got myslef a set of dunlop 756's and there great, i shoot roosters at a friend who rides a crf 70!! there great tires and tey have alot of tread on the sides so it will conrer better. If ricky charmicheal used these i think there good for anyone.

get those pirrelis off of there

i got myslef a set of dunlop 756's and there great, i shoot roosters at a friend who rides a crf 70!! there great tires and tey have alot of tread on the sides so it will conrer better. If ricky charmicheal used these i think there good for anyone.

:naughty:

Ditch the stocker tires. add some oil to the forks, springs are better.

Check the pressure also. Mine came from the dealer with something ridiculous like 50 pounds in each tire. Should be about 10 or so.

50!? did it blow!??? thats total crap.....

tell her to get on the tank....not molest it, just get up on it... :naughty:

ADDED: teach her how to corner, have her lean the bike over, dont let her hang her whole body over, JUST THE BIKE.

I do this and i can torch out of tight corrners. But most of all man, just let her have phun. !!!

Pirelli makes some good tires but the stock front tires on the 150 & 230 are junk. The tread design is more like that of a rear tire than a front tire. This poor tread design is the cause of the wash out IMO. Need staggerd tread not all lined up. After I replaced the front tire I no longer had the wash out problem. Pirelli MT16 or the Dunlop 756 are both good front tires.

ditto... loose the stock tires and put on the Michellin starcross MS2, change the oil and add spacers to the front forks...

You got all the right answers now:-)

Ditch the stocker tires. add some oil to the forks, springs are better.

umm dunlop 756s are not stock tires

what are you talkin about :naughty::D:D:D

I mis-read Thought they were the stockers. He is hosed! :naughty: LOL

Front end is suspect then. Either that or back off the gas.