Sign in to follow this  

nasty looking valve!!!

So, I pulled my heads off tonight to change my RIGHT INTAKE valve. Holy Crap! My intake valve looks like someone smashed it flat with a... train or something. I couldn't believe the difference in the valves. The whole thing about the springs wearing out and letting the valves "slap" against the seats makes perfect sense to me now. I'm just hoping that I didn't screw up my seats. I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

Dang, I can't wait to get some SS valves and hopefully solve this sorry problem.

I'm going to try to take a few pics tonight and hopefully I'll be able to post them tomorrow.

By the way, for those of you that want to take the heads off and try to keep the carb in place, just take off the carb, it's a lot easier and you'll never get it back in if you don't take it off. :thumbsup:

Stop scaring me with this news of valve death and destruction :thumbsup:

I have about 40 hours on mine now and it's been great so far but these valve posts....:devil:...maybe i'll give it away to 1st person with a wad of cash in hand.....NOT!!!

I would rather push a Honda then ride a blue bike.

I would rather push a Honda then ride a blue bike.

you are gonna get some REALLY strong legs in short order.

my friend (he's 62 years old) races in the over60 class in enduros and hare scrambles. he's already wasted one valve on his X and i'm sure number 2 is gone as well. now, this guy is pretty darn fast for 60+, but consider he's 60+ too. he changes the oil every ride and air filter too. his bike(s) are always spotless and are always in perfect shape. i've known him for 6 years now, so i've seen him with many bikes and they all were treated the same.

story #2, another X. ridden by a 43 year old guy. valves went to zero, told the mechanic to shim them because he needed them for riding sweep (ie offical) at a race. he had to be pulled back to the pits because it quit on the track. 18 hours total on motor.

Well, I tried to get some pics, but they came out too blurry for a good post. I did get some measurements though. The valve seat was a wopping .9mm. The service limit is 1.7mm. It was awful looking. It was about 1/2 the size it was supposed to be. It looked like someone had tied one end of the valve to a car and tried to pull the valve through its little hole or something. I did luck out though. I had the seats checked and they were in spec.

I'll post a pic of the little tool that RHC suggested I make in place of the valve compressor. Worked great! :thumbsup: Thanks for that one, saved me some bucks and all it cost was a little elbow grease and and $1.30 for the pipe.

Read all the thread you posted! "an extremely rare occurrance."

Yeah, Yammys shim, Hondas replace valves. Let's see, shim $1.47; Valve $50.00. You do the math. Unfortunately it looks like Honda didn't solve the problem in '05 either.

Oh, don't mean to add salt to the wound, but I have a '03 and haven't even had to shim the valves yet and I ride 5-10 hours a month. :cry:

Put a Yammy motor in a Honda chassis, then you got a bike!

Read all the thread you posted! "an extremely rare occurrance."

Yeah, Yammys shim, Hondas replace valves. Let's see, shim $1.47; Valve $50.00. You do the math. Unfortunately it looks like Honda didn't solve the problem in '05 either.

Oh, don't mean to add salt to the wound, but I have a '03 and haven't even had to shim the valves yet and I ride 5-10 hours a month. :cry:

Put a Yammy motor in a Honda chassis, then you got a bike!

Below, I have posted the top 5 finishers in Anaheim's 125 main event. Please feel free to check the manufacturers.

125cc Western Regional Main Event:

1. Nathan Ramsey (KTM)

2. Josh Woods (Hon)

3. Akira Narita (Hon)

4. Tommy Hahn (Hon)

5. Steve Lamson (Hon)

Do you know what all those guys at A1 had in common?

Pro-circuit heads!

I can assure you no Hondas had stock heads...while many privateer Yamahas do. That's life.

I had a Yamaha the last 2 years(over 3k miles) that needed zero valve maintenance.

I have a Honda now...that I love...but had some very early valve recession. I think I have it taken care of now. It cost some money...but if it works, it's worth it. I'm going down to Daytona to do 2 enduros and 2 GNCC's...if it lasts through those, I'll let you guys know what I'm running.

I have a Honda now...that I love...but had some very early valve recession. I think I have it taken care of now. It cost some money...but if it works, it's worth it. I'm going down to Daytona to do 2 enduros and 2 GNCC's...if it lasts through those, I'll let you guys know what I'm running.

Look me up down there as I will have a spare head, cylinder, piston, cam ready to bolt on in the trailer. Black Haulmark trailer still will have TM Racing on the side, Silver ford van or Blue Chev 3 door Pickup.

GNCC #755 A 4stroke <300 cc class. Maybe A 250 if Junior has the nerve...

Anyhow we will be doing that loop also.

Do you know what all those guys at A1 had in common?

Pro-circuit heads!

I can assure you no Hondas had stock heads...while many privateer Yamahas do. That's life.

I had a Yamaha the last 2 years(over 3k miles) that needed zero valve maintenance.

I'll bite. If your bike does last through your next four races, how much would someone like me have to pay to get setup with what you've got? If there's a solution that works, I'd rather pay up front than bandage the problem over and over.

BTW, I'm not having any valve problems but I'm also not blind. I see there's a possibility and I'd like to address it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

LOL....Bodyman,I have the same stuff in the box truck. I even got rid of my R and got another X for emergency spares.

Weez....there are several solutions...which range from $240 to $1000.And you may never have problems. I know several really fast guys that have had no problems.I know some really slow guys who put lots of hours on thiers with no problems.Maybe I just got a bad valve/head...it's not the end of the world.I like the bike and I'm sure I can make it work. I've had CZ's, Maicos, Ossas and Bultacos that I made work....so this X is a piece of cake!

LOL....Bodyman,I have the same stuff in the box truck. I even got rid of my R and got another X for emergency spares.

Weez....there are several solutions...which range from $240 to $1000.And you may never have problems. I know several really fast guys that have had no problems.I know some really slow guys who put lots of hours on thiers with no problems.Maybe I just got a bad valve/head...it's not the end of the world.I like the bike and I'm sure I can make it work. I've had CZ's, Maicos, Ossas and Bultacos that I made work....so this X is a piece of cake!

I won't be spending any money until it is needed. I was just wondering what the cost of a new head would be with valves that should last. Thanks for the advice.

Maybe I will be looking you up :cry:

Is there a solid solution that will give you a season of not doing anything...maybe. I have hours of time into finding the holy grail, so far nothing I will spend alot of cash on. So far that sounds good is Softer seats, SS valves or Ti one piece, heavier springs. PC and others offer this. The Softer seats save the valves but you will need a good tuner to re dress them and that is more cash, mid season or at the end of the season. Once you dress those soft seats once or twice you need new ones all over again. SS valves are soft to a point and work with stock seats to outlast the Ti/coated.

Currently I am sticking with stock valves for now and springs. I will try some new springs when someone has them or I may shim the stockers to move that bad spot out of the rpm range with out trying to cause other issues. Plus I am waiting on a setup from Forward Motion and I am not sure of the final configuration since the industry leaders have no real offerings. Maybe there is no real issue and we are taking this way off to never never land..

Below, I have posted the top 5 finishers in Anaheim's 125 main event. Please feel free to check the manufacturers.

Sorry, Its not the bike, but the rider. What color does Ricky Charmicheal ride now? Same results as when he was riding a red bike, and even when he was on green.

Second we are talking about cost of maintenance and which bike is more reliable. Cool, if you are a factory rider then Honda's problems are no problem for you.

For the rest of us that have to pay for our maintenance, this is a big problem.

Well, I tried to get some pics, but they came out too blurry for a good post. I did get some measurements though. The valve seat was a wopping .9mm. The service limit is 1.7mm. It was awful looking. It was about 1/2 the size it was supposed to be. It looked like someone had tied one end of the valve to a car and tried to pull the valve through its little hole or something. I did luck out though. I had the seats checked and they were in spec.

I'll post a pic of the little tool that RHC suggested I make in place of the valve compressor. Worked great! :) Thanks for that one, saved me some bucks and all it cost was a little elbow grease and and $1.30 for the pipe.

Can you please post the pic of the valve spring tool? I am curious to see it so I can make one.