Sign in to follow this  

Setting up a DRZ for long trips

I have a mate who is keen on doing some longer distance dirt touring through fairly remote areas and am just pondering whether I could effectively set up the DRZ to do so as well. Even with a large tank, fuel capacity is still small compared to what you can squeeze in on a bigger bore dual sport (ala dr650), but might have 4wd backup that could help sort that out. I'm figuring on needing to take oil and filters along or have them dropped off at petrol drops along the way.

But I'll also want to be able to carry a fair amount of gear as well. Has anyone tried some tricky rack setups that let you pack more on, but still have the bike rideable in dirt, sand, single track, dunes, etc?

Just the first inclings of thought ... starting to think forward to planning a trip most likely in 06 ... probably be over 2,000kms through lots of very remote and uninhabited areas (canning stock route in NW australia), so need to be relatively self sufficient...

:thumbsup:

Neil.

You need to buy the lastest Side Track Mag (Australian Mag) as you are from Australia.

They just took a 1200BMW and a DRZ400 accross the Simpson desert.

Doing it with 4wd backup is much better

You get a cold beer, cooked meal & comfy bed every night

The alternative is very frequent supply drops

And you carry

Water 10 Letters each

Sat phone

Eperb

Sleping bag sub zero

Sheet of plastic

Dried food

Spare tube , puncher kit

Spark plug

Chane link

Gaffer tape

Tie wire

Tools

Try to organize a pit stop in the middle with a 4wd tour

If anything goes wrong its phone for a chopper time

Or you will be dead in les than a week

And take sum spare tyres , its seldom that you puncture them more often that you destroy them

Have fun & take a cammers

the senery is ausum

An old TT member ...Mountain man packed his bike soo full of crap and he would do long rides ,with a chase truck you should have no problems going as long as you want the drz will do it . :thumbsup:

Take a look at the April 2004 issue of Rider magazine, you might get some ideas from an article in there on page 52 about turning a DZ-Z400s into an adventure tourer.

go to happy-trail.com,

get a DRZ400 rack and make your own cases.

get a tank bag and a headlight bag (aerostich, cycoactive) and you'll be ready to go!

Christian

Thanks guys - anyone have a link to anyone making large tanks for the DRZ? I mean large, no the little 4 gallon jobbies, but like 25 litre (~7 gal) long range tanks.....

Aha, cool, thx .... that 43 looks like a pig! The 26l doesn't look too bad and keeps the original seat, but strange that they don't make the radiator shroud bits into tank as well ... I just spotted an add in the latest sidetrack mag (aussie adventure bike mag) that is also advertising a 26l one that looks a little better ergonomically ... will post a link if I can find a ref online...