Sign in to follow this  

Are Bigger 4-Strokes Harder to Ride ?

I'm looking to buy my first dirt bike and I'm wanting a 4-stroke. I have ridden many 2-strokes, and 4-stroke dirt bikes in the past. Although none of them were my own, I would still consider myself a novice for I never rode steadily to really master any particular bike I had the opportunity to ride.

With that said, I plan on using the bike I intend to buy for basic dirt riding and not for pro-use. When I feel the urge though I want the bike to have big power. There are some big concerns though in choosing either the 250, or the new 450 size of bike. They are: Will the 250 give me enough power, or will the 450 just be way to overkill? If The weight difference isn't that great of difference in riding the larger, I believe the 450 would be okay. In the past I have road the CR500 so too much power I believe isn't that big of deal. However, in second gear I do not want to be going 45 MPH's etc....

So in your experience what have you found in the riding differences between the big two.... being the 250 and the 450?

Which one will do?

Thanks for reading my ramblings.....

Dennis

umm no its not. my first ever bike was a yz426f and that was in janaury and never owned a bike berof so go with wat you want :thumbsup:

a little more info would help but heres some basic stuff: If you weigh over 170 lbs, go with the 450. if you weigh more than that you might run into the problem of not having enough power. if you do get a 450, go with honda, they are pretty easy to ride. I race both (250 & 450) and i know the 250 is easier but i weigh 155 so power is not an issue most of the time.

I went with the wr250, I am about 200lbs and it has enough power to get me in trouble quick! It did need the free mods to un cork it, but what a diff. after! I ride mostly trails and gen off road as well, but will do some laps on the track, and the 250 power always impresses me on the track when I get on it and has the suspension to handle it. the 250's do feel more nimble in the woods, or the tight stuff, but the 450's are awsome on the more oppen areas. I would go with a 250, get out there and ride. Then when you have outgrown the power (if you do), mod the bike, or start looking at going to a 450 depending on the type of riding you find you like better.

Just my 2 cents

I actually found the 450 to be easier to ride than my previous bikes. Unlike the 125's and 250s I had in the past, this one has the power to get over obstacles and climb hills with ease. You don't have to focus as intently on keeping a big bore bike in the powerband or right gear all the time because they've got the power to get ya out of trouble even when you do make a mistake (like hitting the bottom of a hill in 3rd)

If ya want a trail bike, go for a WR450... no other bike comes close :thumbsup:

A 250 two stroke seems to be very potent and snappy.

You can get into alot of trouble really quickly as they have a very high power to weight ratio.

A 125 two stroke you can get into trouble, but you really need to be deliberately on the pipe to do that.

A 450 4-stroke will actually be easier (as far as tiring and throttle control) than a 250 two stroke. It will be harder in regards to weight and braking.

Now, if you really want to talk overkill, go with a 525SX KTM. Deadly power, with nice light weight. It will eat 250 two strokes and 450 4-strokes. That bike will have all the difficulties in throttle and such as a 250 two stroke, AND the difficulties of a 4-stroke. THAT is an overkill machine - BUT, it's the most fun thing you'll ever ride!

I just sold my 99 250exc, and still deciding 450f or 300 smoker.

The 450 is a LOT more effort in single trail than my 250...but everything else it seems just as easy

If you plan on riding in tight single track go with a 250

4 stroke. It will handle better and not beat you up.If it's wide open space your riding go with the big bore.

I agree with Bamster......

I'm 200# and ride tight single track. I prefer a 250 over a 450 on that type of terrain.

could be a poor analogy but.......

450 four strokes = hot rods with V8 engines

250 four strokes = import cars with 4 and 6 cyl engines

the 250s seem more nimble, but you gain so much more with the 450 you can't help but grin...

the weight of the 450 can tire you out a little sooner.

it's a tough choice, but my next bike will be a 450 up from the 250.....

One of the main things I wanted to do when I returned to the dirt a few months ago was learn to ride a wheelie. That's the main reason I got the 450 and let me tell you, I'm glad I did.

As for the wheelie training, I can pretty much pick my gear when I'm doing it. heck, I was doing third gear wheelies at about 35mph on a dirt road a few weekends ago. It just comes right up.

On the paved road it comes up so fast it's almost dangerous...

But that's the type of riding I wanted to do. I absolutely love my YZ450. It's a great bike.

I agree with Bamster......

I'm 200# and ride tight single track. I prefer a 250 over a 450 on that type of terrain.

could be a poor analogy but.......

450 four strokes = hot rods with V8 engines

250 four strokes = import cars with 4 and 6 cyl engines

Thats the best way you can put it. A 450 would be like a camaro while the the 250 would be like a rx8. Then the xr650r would be like a viper. :thumbsup:

Get a KTM250RFS When you feel the need for more power, then buy the 351 bigbore kit. The CRF450 is not a trail bike. Most guys that try to trail ride it find the engine difficult to control. A lack of flywheel weight makes it prone to stalling, The CRF also overheats alot on tight trails. Another good choice is the Husaberg 400, 450 or 470; or KTM 400, they have electric start. They are better than the jap bikes.

I guess I do not understand the V8 versus 4 or 6 cyl import analogy for the 450s. I used to have a 250 and love my 450 in every way possible over the 250 on every type of terrian. I weigh 200 pounds and I am 6'3". I think it easier to ride becasue it is so forgiving and it barely weighs any more than the WR250.

how much you weigh and what kind of riding you plan to do will have alot to do with what kind of bike you want. for woods riding i think a 250f would be the best bike, but for the track you might enjoy the extra power of a 450. i ride mostly single track, and i only weigh 125lbs. so my xr250 has enough power for me in most cases, but lately i've been wanting more power in some places. i'll most likely be moving to a yz250f for my next bike.

I had a 03 YZF250 (great bike) and then got my TE450 Husky. I ride primarily tight woods and the 450 is just as easy to ride. It is which 450 you get. If it was a CRF450 or YZF450 it would be a different story. The TE is fast but nice about it. It obviously weighs more than the YZF but you also have to shift less and it is easier to ride lazy boy style and still be making time. At the end of the day between those two bikes it is a toss up speed and fatigue wise.