Sign in to follow this  

Jetting '04 400S for 6000 - 11000 feet?

Just got my few month old bike back from the dealer I purchased it from. (replaced deadly tires, new 14 tooth front sprocket) I live at about 7500 feet and ride between 6 and 11 thousand. I pretty much got the messsage that the dealer doesn't know what's going to work well for me at this altitude and since this is my first bike! My learning curve is about as steep as they come.

Any help with dummy proof airbox mods and anybody's experience with this carb at this altitude would be much appreciated. (Already looked thru the "database" and none of the numbers are making any sense to me. Is this because my Mikuni carb is new(er)?) I got a one size smaller main and a two sizes smaller main and plan on putting those in....any other hints?

Thanks,

Desertrat

depends on how you want to go about.the mikuni isnt new,it just only comes on the S model.

option 1 and the best-

dynojet kit,3x3 hole

126 main jet

dj needle

clip 3

dj slide spring

25 pilot

2.5 turns fuel screw

option 2

3x3 hole,stock needle

130 main jet

stock needle

25 pilot

2.5-3 turns fuel screw

option 3

stock air box hole,no snorkle,stock needle

124 main jet

stock needle

stock 22.5 pilot

3 turns fuel screw.

:thumbsup:

Thanks again for the advice burned. Now that I know what I need to do, anyone know of good write-ups on HOW to do it? I mean the details of how to actually take things apart w/o wrecking it! I'm pretty good with most things mechanical, I just need some info on where to start.

Also, anybody have any advice on which dealers or shops in the Salt Lake area are trustworthy in case I get in over my head?

Thanks,

Desertrat