date for two stroke ban ?

Is there a date or year by which two strokes will not be allowed in ama competition (motocross)nor allowed in ohv parks ? Have the manufacturers stated when they would stop selling two strokes? I've searched TT and the AMA site and haven't found anything current on the topic.

thanks .

Is there a date or year by which two strokes will not be allowed in ama competition (motocross)nor allowed in ohv parks ? Have the manufacturers stated when they would stop selling two strokes? I've searched TT and the AMA site and haven't found anything current on the topic.

thanks .

I'm pretty sure they'll be like three-wheelers, they can't make and sell new ones, but ones that are already in existence will be grandfathered in. Not posotive, but it should be...

When the 4 strokes match the weight and HP the, 2 strokes will be gone. Thats a ways off. For MX and SX the deck will be stacked for the 4 strokes, 125 two vs. 250 four etc.. Go to the woods where there are no classes and the two's have there spot. They will be around for a long time. ?

thanks for the replies. i'm thinking about getting a bike for my girlfriend. she rode a friends 125 and did great. she is a bit intimidated by my 250f. . i heard that the EPA and the AMA were going to ban two strokes beginning 2006. I can't find any confirmation of that on the AMA's site or the EPA's site. I too find it hard to believe that Yamaha would go all out on a new line of ring dings if they knew they would not be able to sell them for the next two model years at least. I just don't want to buy something that might be worthless in value a couple of years from now. thanks for the input.

i just did some research on this 2 weeks ago. someone posted a link to the epa site (i'm too lazy to try to find it again), and i read the whole proposal. basically they want to ban 2-strokes except for competition use starting with the 2006 model year. the proposal explicitly stated that 2005 model and earlier 2-strokes would stay legal for competition, woods riding, doing wheelies around your annoying neighbor's house, etc...

if i recall, it was really only about current 2strokes, and wouldn't apply to next generation models if they meet emissions requirements.

i would expect this to change in some substantive ways, so keep your eyes and ears open. rest assured tho, if you buy a 2005 or earlier 2-stroke, it will not be arbitrarily banned from the woods. any ban will definitely start with the 2006 model year (or later) and go forward.

i just did some research on this 2 weeks ago. someone posted a link to the epa site (i'm too lazy to try to find it again), and i read the whole proposal. basically they want to ban 2-strokes except for competition use starting with the 2006 model year. the proposal explicitly stated that 2005 model and earlier 2-strokes would stay legal for competition, woods riding, doing wheelies around your annoying neighbor's house, etc...

if i recall, it was really only about current 2strokes, and wouldn't apply to next generation models if they meet emissions requirements.

i would expect this to change in some substantive ways, so keep your eyes and ears open. rest assured tho, if you buy a 2005 or earlier 2-stroke, it will not be arbitrarily banned from the woods. any ban will definitely start with the 2006 model year (or later) and go forward.

Finally, someone got it right.

:devil:

As for the above posts stating that they are going to be banned all together, where do you guys get this stuff. Do you do any looking yourselves or do you just make it up as you go? ?

well this

For off highway motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, we proposed standards based mainly on moving these engines from 2-stroke to 4-stroke technology

came from here... http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-AIR/2002/August/Day-14/a19437.htm

and this...

For off highway motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, we are proposing standards that would result in a 50-percent reduction and is based mainly on moving these engines from 2-stroke to 4-stroke technology.

came from here http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-AIR/2001/October/Day-05/a23591a.htm

And last but not least, this...

For off highway motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, we are adopting standards based mainly on moving these engines from two-stroke to four-stroke technology with the use of some secondary air injection.

came from here. http://www.epa.gov/EPA-AIR/2002/November/Day-08/a23801.htm

It's real allright.

i'd say buy a 2 smoke now, and sell it after then ban, your gonna get it for cheap now (because all of the 4 strokes sell better), and sell for more than you would normally get, because of the ban! win win! ?, the only thing is, you don't know when the ban will be put, only talk about it, no final word.

Mud_Mania I must disagree with you on the price thing. If history teaches us correctly buying now would be stupid. Lets look at the 3wheeled outlaws out there still riding the old machines. Me being one of the people who won't let go of my trike(Tri-Z 250,86'). I bought mine the spring after the ban for $600 and it was in ex. condition. I know the deal I got at the time because of 60min's coverage on the retarded people who in most part didn't wear helmets. Once this kids mom saw that her X-husband had gotten her son the most dangerous bike ever. It was 4sale the next day after the son broke his tailbone doing wheeles down the street. :devil: To me I still enjoy riding it....and No you can't ride it, cause it's too fast!! Anyway Mania Mud slinger back to the $ sign and topic. The price of 3wheelers dropped off faster than jumping off a cliff after the ban. The surge to buy the last of the 2strokes will be greater than say the last CR500's. My suggestion is wait and get one after the big rush if $ is an issue. Look at the price of the CR500 has it gone up or down? My 3wheeler is now worth more than I bought it for..but not even close to what I have in to it. Off road bikes aren't a real investment unless your a dealer. You can sometimes get a next to new/used bike for so low you can turn it over for a low asking price. I have herd that 06' is the yr the factories are pulling out all the stops...and the bikes should be best ever. ?

One reason i bought an '05 YZ250 is b/c it's the last chance to buy an unrestricted one that I can use however I want. It's also a totally kickass bike...I'm going to try going thumper-free to cut down on the maintenance.

Bad analogy w/ respect to the ban on 3 wheelers vs. 2 strokes...the 3 wheelers were unsafe turds, replaced by 4 wheelers which are so much better. 2 strokes will be banned (ex. for comp. use) purely for env. reasons, yet they still have plenty of advantages (and some disadvantages) vs. thumpers.