Sign in to follow this  

bike runs rough until fully warmed up?

I have an 04' 250X. I mostly ride trails and have never raced it. I ride for 2-3 hours every weekend. I have noticed that the bike runs rough for about 3-5 minuntes until the engine warms up. I seems like I have to leave the choke on longer each time I ride. Otherwise it will bogg down and stall. It runs fine for the rest of the day after the engine is warm. It didn't do this for the first three months after I bought it new. Is this normal? Does it indicate a problem? I have done the routine maintenance such as engine and transmission oil changes and clean the air filter. I have not checked the valves yet but will soon.

Thanks for any info,

Chuck

Honda CRF250X

Mine does the same thing. It is because Honda jetted it very lean to meet U.S. emissions standards. I just let it warm up before trying to ride. The plus side is you are getting excellent fuel milage. I can get 100 miles to a tank.

We had the same problem - but installed a Power Now and the JD Jetting kit and now life is wonderful!

Really made a noticeable difference in starting, warm-up, idling, low/mid-range pulling. Highly recommend these two items. Cheers! - rb

Mine started to do the same thing, I changed the plug and it is fine now. It still smokes a little more than it used to though. :thumbsup: