Sign in to follow this  

New XR 400 owner with spark plug question

I did not get the tool kit on my 99 XR400R and I am have one heck of a time removing the spark plug. Someone please tell me what wrench to use or buy.. PLEASE..

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Use the spark plug socket that comes with in the bike's tool kit. I use a rachet wrench to turn it. Before removing the plug, be sure to blow out any debris with compressed air or it will fall into the cylinder and you will be unhappy :thumbsup:

RH

I had the same problem. I bought the MotionPro and fought with that also. Returned it and ended up buying the OEM from Honda.

Hey guys. Had the same problem with my 99 xr4. Dealer wants way to much for his. There is a guy on e-bay who sells them for $11.00 including shipping BIN. I got one and it works perfect. The socket is even too deep for a special "deep socket" wratchet. Search under xr400. Good luck. Jeph :thumbsup:

Hey THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!! :thumbsup: I got an idea from one of the posts earlier and took an old yamaha spark plug tool, cut it in half, extended it, then finally welded a rod to it. WORKS GREAT.

Thanks for all your help and should it break, I now know where to buy one.

Thanks again.

If you buy the OEM Honda one, I seem to recall that the price for the socket alone was as much or more than the whole little tool pouch with the multi-wrench included. (Easily checked at servicehonda.com).

The other thing that goes without saying is to make sure the area around the plug is SPOTLESS before removing the plug. Little pebbles like to get right down in there and are tough to get out, even with compressed air or a power washer. Somebody recently posted about having one of those little stones go down the hole and jam a valve open on them - not nice indeed...

:thumbsup:

The MotionPro socket will work fine. You must seat the rubber "plug-keeper" washer fully into the socket. They dont do this when they assemble them. This makes the socket sit high on the plug. By seating the washer, the socket sit fine. Just take a small flat screwdriver and push the washer in!

Robert :thumbsup: