Sign in to follow this  

Cheap Speedometer for XR250/400?

I bought an XR400 about a month ago and have toyed with the idea of making it street legal. I think I am going to go with a Baja Design dual purpose kit, but did not like the speedometers that BD offered. I found an Ebay ad for an enduro speedometer from ATK that they said would work with the odometer drive cable on the XRs. The bid was up to $60 so I did a little research and found where ATK is selling these on their overstock parts webpage for $19.95. I went ahead and ordered 2 (one to install and a spare). These look like OEM speedometers you would find on a production bike. It has both accrual and resettable odometers. The others that I looked at had a speed range that was unuseable for this type of bike (0-160 mph) or looked like a mountain bike speedo on steroids (Endurance). The ATK looks like it could have come stock on the bike. I'll let you know how the ATK works when I get it installed. You can find this listed on ATKs overstock parts list (P/N 160005). Their homepage is at www.atkusa.com. Navigate to the parts page and then click on overstock parts. They also have key switches for about $5.00.

-Linn :thumbsup:

No. I just placed the order on Thursday. I would expect to receive them sometime next week. I plan to connect the cable and temporarily tie wrap the speedo in place to see if it's going to work. If it works, I'll figure out a way to mount it securely in place.

I went riding out at a friend of mine's place yesterday for the first time and opened it up. I know I was going pretty fast, but it's hard to tell just how fast. It will be nice to have a speedometer to show how fast I'm going and an odometer that keeps track of the total miles. I'll let you know how this works out.

-Linn

I have tried doing that multiple times (the bicylcle speedo thing) and have constantly run into the problem of where to run the cord. what is your solution???

i use a Sigma Sport BC1200. I epoxied a small rare earth magnet to the hub on the right side of the front wheel. the sensor then is conveniently wrapped around the housing for the odometer gear. i've since taken off the odometer and odometer cable. i bought some small gauge pvc tubing and cut it legnth wise to protect the wire of the BC1200. i've been running this setup for 600 miles of dualsport/harescrambles with absolutely no problems.

in fact, i set up another on the left side of the front wheel just for kicks. these BC1200's cost $25 at most, they have a dozen features and the battery last years

I ordered one of the ATK speedos yesterday, and Jeff with ATK Motosports called me before noon today to confirm the order. He said it would be shipped today, we'll see. I hope the drive is the same, the speedo looks realy good, just what I was looking for. It is 0-90, w/ odo and trip set odo in about the same size case (maybe a little bigger) as the odo that's on it now. Nice looking unit and for $19.95, if it works, I'd like to buy a dozen to sell :thumbsup:

I still have my Odometer on my XR400. In fact the pick up is attached to the ODO housing. The speedometer wire spirals up the ODO cable. Many bushes and crashes later, it hasn't disconnected.

Did you wrap the cable in tape or something? I tried just zip-tying mine, and it snapped between zipties. I might try the tape thing...

I put a Cat Eye on my XR4. I ran the wire up the brake line and wrapped it competely with a plastic spiral covering that is designed to wrap wires and protect them. It costs about $4 and is available at Home Depot in the electrical dept. I have not had any issues with it and do not expect any.

Justin

Sounds like a good deal. Let us know how things work out. It looks like the speedometer has a light you could hook up on it too.

Maybe I should just go down to the ATK dealer before that person on ebay buys em' all up and turns around and sells them for double. Good looking out. :thumbsup:

Had the notice from UPS on the door yeaterday, so I left the notice and a M.O. for the stuff from ATK on the door this morning. It should be there when I get home today, so I guess we know what tomorrow mornings project is (after mownig the freaking grass). :cry: If all goes well, I'll install tomorrow AM and post a pic here after it's done.

Oh, to make the minimum $25 .00 order, I also ordered the $5.95 ignition switch. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to hook it up, but first things first.

I ordered a couple speedometers and a key switch last Thursday and I called ATK yesterday to check the status. They said they didn't ship them until Wednesday. He said that they had to ship them up from another warehouse. :cry: I don't know how you got yours so fast. You must live closer to their store. I'm eager to see how these work out. I thought about making a bracket to mount both the speedometer and the key switch together. The key switch wiring should be fairly simple.

Cool! Can't wait to hear how it goes. It's hard to believe nobody on this board has done this mod before. Guess these guys just don't care how fast (or slow) they are going. No wonder the store is doing a "close out" of these speedos. Larry

I emailed Sunday and he called about 11:00 our time (CDT) Monday to get the info. I went ahead and had them send it COD to get it out right then. I don't remember where they were, but I'm in Texas. I was thinking ign. switch in kill button wire, but that would work in reverse. Does anybody have any ideas / done this before??? Is ther something in the front behind the headlight that could be used??? I'm not looking for hi security, (I have a Krypto Disk brake lock), just a deterrant to kids.

Kev_XR,

I know I am a newbie to Thumpertalk, but I can't help but feel that my post was highjacked. Now this other guy (who will remain nameless) has taken off on his own thread with this great wonderful find. Everyone's congratualting him and praising him for sharing this with them and I'm left in the dust. I just got my speedometers in the mail yesterday. Kinda feel like putting them on Ebay along with my bike. This sucks big wind. I'm outa here. :cry:

Indiana

I have a Krypto Disk brake lock), just a deterrant to kids

I'd be very careful trusting the Kryptonite lock because kids can open it in seconds with a simple ball point pen...no joke! Here's the video for you to check out (3.2 MB in size)...

http://video.bikeforums.net/4.wmv

Here's an article about it...

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/09/16/cyclists_bike_locks_easy_prey_for_thieves/

Indiana - don't leave. I ordered my speedo based on your post. The other guy just got his quicker and posted on how to mount it. You deserve a beer for the find and 'the other guy' deserves a beer for writing up the mount. That's teamwork and how this group works.

AGAIN: Indiana_Cyclist :

I am sorry, I in no way intended to take credit for finding the great buy on these. My only intent was to share the mounting idea I came up with through trial and error with the rest of the folks here and on 4strokes.com in order to save them some time and headaches. YES, YOU SIR ARE THE KING, if there is any way me, your humble servant, can make amends for my terrible misdeed, consider it done.

ps: I had looked on ebay and other places so long for something I could fit into the budget, and was perhaps overanxious to share my good fortune of the results with fellow XR's here.

:cry: