Sign in to follow this  

bike for my dad

my dad is thinking about getting a dirt bike any i wanted to know what would be a good one for him. hes 6,7 feet 230lb, he has soem probelms with his back with dics, he been riding since he way 16 on a motorcycle to 28, had harley and other ones , hes 45, and he rides with me i have a crf 230f,and my brother has a crf 100, we will mostly ride in sand pits,trails, and the bike has to be street legal? thanks for the help

that intresting. i just looked at a 2002 drz 400 for 3000 bucks. pretty good shape to.

THe drz is an excellent bike for your dad, its the same one my dad has, excellent for trail riding, light enough to throw around, and can do a decent job of keeping up with my rmz :thumbsup:

DRZ400S, hands down. I'm also 45 and paying the price from alot of injuries I can still ride the rough stuff pretty good but the D/S thing and the DRZ400S have given my offroad riding a whole new life. With a few easy mod,s the bike is just plain fun and street legal to!!!, handles the rough stuff easily,(with a few mod,s), and can play all day long on the easy stuff without abuseing the rider!!, at 6'7 he'll probably want some big DR bar risers and a taller seat both cheap and easy mods, that along with a 3+3 airbox mod,DJ jetting kit,pilot and main,(tuned for your alltitude), maybe a gearing change??. It may sound like alot of work but belive me!!, I dumped a ton of money into a XR650L for D/S use and gladly sold the bike once I got the DRZ,S!!!!!. I normally ride a CR500 for off road use so I'm kinda spoiled??. I've had more fun with DRZ than I thought possible. :thumbsup:

where are you located, I have a buddy with a 95 dr650(street legal too), its heavy, but mint condition and he will let it go cheap, if its not already sold. we are in so cal.

I agree that the DRZ-400 is a good choice. The only problem is the weight. I also have some back problems. I just sold my dual sport xr250L because it was too heavy for me to man-handle. Riding it was fine, but loading it in the trailer or picking it up after a spill was really hard on my back. Weight was the primary reason I bought a crf250X. You would have to add a dual sport kit to it, but it would still be much lighter than the DRZ. But a lot more expensive too.