maybe stupid Q but gonna ask

sorry if this a dumb question but i guess every question sounds dumb if you know the answer already, i have been reading about semi-synthetic fully synthetic and so on and i have no idea what the basic differences are between these oils. Can some one just explain the basics to me please i am not looking for the science behind it just why 1 oil is good at 1 thing and not so good for another and why? ?

Basics-

dino or traditional oil is made from.... oil that comes out of the ground with additives etc.

Synthetic- A lubricant that is compleatly made made. It is NOT refined oil. I believe it is made from polymers (but not sure) Basically it is supposed to lubricate better and last longer than dino oils. They were developed in the 1950's when it was found out standard oil did not stand up to the punishment of jet engines so they developed synthetic oil. The synthetic of today is far diffrent from the original design.

semi synthetic or a blend. A mixture of dino oil and synthetic. 0

I have become a believer of synthetic oil, but talk to a thousand people and you get a thousand diffrent opinions. Hope this helps.

Semi-synthetic is half a bottle of regular petroleum oil with half a bottle of synthetic...that's why the price is halfway between synthetic and regular petroleum! Synthetic oil out performs petroleum oil in every category except price... But it's worth the extra price because with the DRZ being such a high RPM torque monster, it needs every bit of protection it can get... :thumbsup:Andrew

Synthetic- A lubricant that is compleatly made made. It is NOT refined oil.

not completely accurate, castrol's "syntec" is group III oil which is very highly refined petroleum. they can legally call it synthetic because it performs to synthetic standards, but it is dino oil. mobil sued castrol over it, but castrol won in court.

synthetic oil is either ester based or PAO based. ester based oils smell like bannanas. redline is one of the few that use PAO, most use ester.

synthetic oils contain less viscosity improvers then dino, that is because, chemically, synthetic oils are more tolerant to extreme temps so it needs less additives to handle them. those viscosity improvers are what get literally beaten up and broken inside of a MC engine's transmission and cause the oil to become thin and stop lubricating.

i'm sure there is some merit to using semi-synthetic, but the price difference semi-syn and full syn in 2 quarts is not worth risking a transmission failure like burned posted in my opinion.

if you ever are really bored and want to read more than you wanted to know about oil check out the boards at bobistheoilguy.com

those guys talk about oil like we talk about bikes.

Ok thanks Bronco and the rest of you guys, i now have a basic idea, so to summarise synthetic oil is the best lubricant but expensive and dyno oil is cheap but not as good a lubricant. So i guess this naturally follows that cash allowing use synthetic every where every time. ?