Sign in to follow this  

Ccccrrruuunchhhhh!

Sorry for the crappy pic

busted.jpg

I run a old Baja Designs skid plate.

The ears offer hardly any protection from trail side rocks as ya can see.

I am either gonna mod this one or find one that actually covers the pump.

Any body got any ideas.

Got a dualsport this weekend (Ratdog)

hopefully I can sweet talk one of my local dealers into priority shipping on a new housing or I am SOL. :thumbsup:

O ya...got towed out of the woods 20 miles! (Thanks again Burnrider!) Tow strap from footpeg to footpeg is the only way to go if you are ever in a similar situation. Worked real good.

Sno,

Don't go through the overnight garbage. Check your pm's. I have one you can use, then you can order one from ron ayers and not get raped so bad.

Have any of you, used the 2 threaded inserts in your frame on the waterpump side to build a protective bar for the impeller housing? I figure it could also be used to either reinforce the skid plate. That impeller housing is asking for trouble.

The Suzuki carbon fiber engine guards ( made by DSP ) completely cover the waterpump housing and are very thick.

Lightspeed I believe is a DSP spin off and their engine guards are like an exact clone. You can order the Lightspeed ones from TT and go back to a standard skid plate if you want some serious protection. I can take a pic of it on request if you want. :thumbsup:

10guy...thanks again! I ordered up a housing and seal for ya tonight!

:thumbsup::awww::devil:

I am not a big Carbon-fiber fan.

I really think if they would of just made the ears bigger it would be sufficient for all but the hardest hits.

(That would fold the plate into the pump) Does anybody make a beefier skidplate?

:devil::awww::lol:

I cant believe my ears. Or eyes... :D

Unless it were the price that you are avoiding. :lol:

Around here we ride in a wide variety of terrain including rocks. A sharp rock that puts a gouge in aluminum would tear some of the carbon fibers, or at least break into the epoxy. Motocross or street it's cool though :thumbsup:

Does anybody make a beefier skidplate?

Soon....very soon.....

Prepare to change your mind.

Around here we ride in a wide variety of terrain including rocks. A sharp rock that puts a gouge in aluminum would tear some of the carbon fibers, or at least break into the epoxy. Motocross or street it's cool though

Made of the appropiate fabric, weaves, resins, and thickness, and propperly designed CF part will be stronger, lighter and more durable than aluminum bits. Especialy in rocks.

Stay tuned......

Mwuhahahahaha.......

Made of the appropiate fabric, weaves, resins, and thickness, and propperly designed CF part will be stronger, lighter and more durable than aluminum bits. Especialy in rocks.

See there ya go.

Unabiker did you decide to make it all as 3 pieces like stock? I still need a skid plate to compliment my CF engine guards. :devil:

Or did you just go with the one piece method? :thumbsup:

My frame rails would be totally brutalized with just a stock style skid plate. Gotta keep er covered. Ya wont change my mind on that...but I wanna see what ya got coming. If its a 1piece cover all...then maybe just maybe I could be convinced. :thumbsup:

Does anybody make a beefier skidplate?

Soon....very soon.....

Prepare to change your mind.

Around here we ride in a wide variety of terrain including rocks. A sharp rock that puts a gouge in aluminum would tear some of the carbon fibers, or at least break into the epoxy. Motocross or street it's cool though

Stay tuned......

Mwuhahahahaha.......

Oh come on At least some idea.... :thumbsup:

Perhaps you should write a letter to the maker of the skid plate that so evedently let you down and ask them to reimburse you for your parts. When they say no, then ask them to make a plate that actually works next time. There are plenty of plates that work well out there. The plate your looking for would be the white brothers plate . It's the best one that TT has for the drz. :thumbsup:

It has saved a lot of damage to the bike. Just does not cover the waterpump as much as it could. I am not gonna whine at Perry/Baja Designs. It is a good product...just could be better IMHO

Show me a pic of the WB plate on your bike and how much it covers the pump. :thumbsup:

The pump housing is located in a vulnerable position at the edge of the BD skid plate. I don't think any skid plate can stop that damage without reinforcement from the frame or motor mounts to the outer edge of the plate.

That's the last time I take you on a short cut. Next time, go around.

The pump housing is located in a vulnerable position at the edge of the BD skid plate. I don't think any skid plate can stop that damage without reinforcement from the frame or motor mounts to the outer edge of the plate.

You think wrong! :thumbsup:

You think wrong! :thumbsup:

I want one of yours are you only selling them on e-bay???