Sign in to follow this  

Valve Adjustment Help?

Let see first time for me. The exhaust valves were .014 on both side. (how hard do you shove the feeler in)

the intake was.005 I think? Oh boy this was after printing out the instructions.

Bike runs great starts first kick..May just wait another month and rip the whole thing down.

If your intakes are at .005 the are in spec, and it's usually the intakes that go first. Your Ex valves are loose if they are at .014" They should be .011" I believe you wont have to remove the cam to shim the Ex valves but you will need to remove the cam bearing cap bolts. Just remove the cam bearing cap bolts, do this in steps, loosen them a little at a time. Then remove the round cap on the right side of the head and push the rod that goes through the rocker out the hole where the cap was. Then lift the rocker out and there the shims will be... Oh, and make sure you are at top dead center before you do this.

Will it hurt anything if I continue to ride it? I have about two weeks or riding left. Maybe 4-6hrs total. Then its down for the season I am going to do rings and piston. maybe even the valve springs.

You want a slight drag on the feeler, you don't shove it in.

A good way to see how much drag there's supposed to be is to take a piece of paper and hold it with your right hand, then use your index finger and thumb of your left hand and squeeze the paper (not hard) and drag it with your right hand. You want a slight drag.