Picking up my new (04) WR450F this week, now what?

This is my first yamaha after a few Hondas, Husqvarnas, and Kawai's so I wonder what do I have to adjust to be able to ride it?

Below are my best guesses after reading some of the posts

-Throttle stop = changing to YZ (13 mm shorter)

-Take out the rubber thing from the airbox

-Change the exhaust insert to the Yamaha GYT-R one

-Cut the grey wire (why, does this change anything with the ignition????)

Do I have to do anything else? How about the chain slider? ?

After this I will be trying to find some nice trails around Cleveland, OH

Mats

-Cut the grey wire (why, does this change anything with the ignition????)

Same CDI box for YZ and WR. It just uses the gray wire to tell if it's in WR or YZ mode. (Grounded or not grounded)

Permatex the chain slider down. Also take a socket and beat down the flanges on the little hat things that hold the slider on. Will keep it from wearing through your swing arm. Otherwise it will. Quickly.

Also, cut open the holes on the right side of the air box, behind the cover.

Yes, if you drop your bike in water, the airbox will fill up faster, but it will also suck in alot more air.

Cut out the hand hold on the left side. Why it's not done by default, I don't know. News flash to Yamaha: I fall off both sides of my bike. ?

Ride it once around the block in stock for just for giggles. You'll be amazed at the difference after the mods.

Finally, if you ride anywhere near hard objects, I'd recommend radiator guards. They squash like a loaf of bread when you drop the bike.

Rooster Performance Products

Or Devol, work wonders.

Oh, and hand guards too.

I could babble all day, but you'll be really impressed with the free mods.

Enjoy

:devil:

- Ryan

Just unplug your exhaust for now....& absorb your intial cost for awhile. Do not modify the airbox unless you plan to rejet.

I have a Canadian 04...........so no throttle stop.

If yours is US....then do the stop as well.

Other than these two things; you should do the slider.

Your bike will be awesome. Try these things first.

I just picked mine up this week. So far all I've changed was the throttle stop and the exhaust insert, and it feels like a completely different bike.

I also ordered all the "bike protection" parts immediately. A good skid plate and radiator guards are much cheaper than new engine cases or radiators.

I've read several posts saying the grey wire doesnt do anything unless you also change the cam timing... which I don't plan to do, so I'm not cutting the wire either.

Enjoy your new bike... I know I am ?:devil:

I've read several posts saying the grey wire doesnt do anything unless you also change the cam timing... which I don't plan to do, so I'm not cutting the wire either.

I made mine slightly louder and gave it a little more snap. Was simple to pull it out of the wiring harness. Worth the effort.

I'd love to see a race between a free mod'd 250 and a bone stock 450. It'd be pretty close.

- Ryan

Mats

Mat, the most important thing you must do is to park the prior motorcylces as far away from you and the new Yamaha as possible. This will keep them from getting beat up with rocks. Thats because after riding this Yamaha, you'll throw rocks at the other ones! :devil:

Mats

Mat, the most important thing you must do is to park the prior motorcylces as far away from you and the new Yamaha as possible. This will keep them from getting beat up with rocks. Thats because after riding this Yamaha, you'll throw rocks at the other ones! :devil:

:awww:?

If I still had my old honda XL's you can bet I'd be throwing rocks at those POS bikes... they turned me off from 4 strokes for nearly a decade, Now I've figured out theres nothin wrong with 4 strokes... I just had the wrong color :D

Thanks for the input, cant wait to pick it up on Friday.

Another item i noticed was the overflow tank for the liquid coolant, under the rear fender????? Looks like this thing will be baked in mud in no time at all. Can I take this of and just run with what is in the system?

Also, is anyone using the electric start? seems I could shave some weigth off with the starter and the battery. I would assume ut starts easy? My last two hondas did, (XR650R + CRF450R) and I never missed not having a starter on these bikes. ?

Mats