Sign in to follow this  

Differences 2002 VOR Enduro vs. MX

Does anyone have an overview of the differences between the 2002 VOR enduro and mx models?

I've made a quick checklist based on my knowledge of other enduro machines, but don't know a lot on VOR. Can anyone elaborate on the VOR specifics?

- Headlight, tail light, brake light including switchgear

- Turn signals including switchgear & relais

- Speedo & instruments including sensors

- Alternator (lighting coil + regulator)

- E-start

- Engine internals (valves, ...)

- Lubrication system

- Gearbox

- Suspension

- Plastics

- Sidestand

- Muffler

- Wheels

Maurice

Ive got the spec pamphlet right in front of me :devil: given to me by my local dealer...I can scan it and send you the info if you want. Did you find a good deal on a used one? :thumbsup:

There is quite a few difference's, what do you need to know?

Well, I want to use one for enduro. So I have to register one for the road (i.e. make it road legal in the Netherlands) as well as make it useable for fairly unexperienced rider for enduro stuff. So close ratio gearboxes and supercross suspension won't do, as well as loud exhausts and lack of lighting and horn.

The price difference between a MX'er and an enduro version is about 1000 Euro if you can find one. Is it worth it or am I better off waiting for a full enduro version.

Maurice

Only the early 02 models had the wrong bearing, I didn't strike any MX models at all, once the correct bearing was fitted no problem :thumbsup:

An Enduro model should be able to be registered straight away, to comply a MX you would need to get the wiring from a ENX model and fit horns, lights etc. In 02 both MX and EN shared common frame and parts, suspension was not super hard and should be OK for what you want with tuning, gearing is easierly changed with sprockets. But if you want a registered MX model it would be easier to get a ENX model in the first place or just get EN or VX if you want electric start.

The differences that count are as follows:

1)48mm Paioli fork on the 450MX vs. 46mm fork. (A little longer as well)

2)Little more travel in the rear on the MX.

3)Different cam. (Little softer on the bottom, more revs until it runs out of air on top!)

4)Different Ignition. (The old MX ignition was more reliable than that wet Ducati stuff)

5)Different silencer with a larger diameter inside.(better power on top)(Even better if you open the air box a little as posted two years ago)

6)Lighting & road legal equipment..the Enduro has it the MX doesn't....question is can you build a MX into a street legal machine. Depends on your local laws. I could if I chose to in Colorado USA but not in NY USA. The enduro came with all the lights, switches, wireing, etc. The MX did not.

7)E-start on the Enduro..not on the MX versions.

8)Aluminum motor cases on the Enduro..Magnesium on the MX

9)E-start on the Enduro...just kick start on the MX.

10)Around 30 more lbs!!! on the enduro vs. the MX!

Other things from my "humble opinion" basket:

The MX motor was wonderful soft and controlable on the bottom with better top end power. Enduro was more abrupt on the bottom with stronger midrange but less on top.

The motor is actually a better motor configuration for me than the Enduro version....If I was to do it all over again I would start with the 2002 450 MX to build a Harescrambles/Enduro/Trail machine.

Swapping the ball main bearing for the new roller is a good Idea. It is a requirement for a 2002 530 E-start VOR (V-cross or Enduro) for survival. Its "almost" a requirement for the 530 MX ...but its at the "good idea" stage with the 450MX VOR's. Those 450's with the smaller flywheel & less "punch" on the bottom end of the RPM range almost never had bearing or flywheel issues. For that matter I haven't heard of one 450 MX yet that did. I don't remember hearing many of the 530 MX's either..maybe one. Seems the bearing issue was more frequent with the E-Start bikes.

Two "sleepers" in the VOR line were the 2002 450MX and the 2001 400 V-Cross.

The worst problem to solve on the 2002 450MX were the seals on those 48mm Paioli's. Reto a Japanese seal and thing get better...but not great. I think the bushings came a little too loose and the resultant movement accelerated seal wear. I don't know if other bushings can be reto'ed...its really not that much of an issue just an aggrevation.

Also dump the stock clutch fluid and put good mineral oil in there. All the clutch issues I saw were related to that.

I also saw folk drag the rear brake to the point of boiling the brake fluid...a Brembo thing as KTM's fought with this as well. A harder metalic pad helps there. (Do what the KTM guys do...)

Vroom, Correct me if I am wrong, but in 2002 didn't the MX have a lighting coil?

Bottom line is for the less experienced Motorcycle mechanic trying to put one on the road...start with an Enduro.

For the enthusiast choosing from 2002 VOR's to build a bike to race Harescrambles, Western USA trail riding, and serious Enduro Competition where "street legal" isn't part of the equation..start with an MX as VOR did for their World Enduro race bikes.

Correct, all you have to do is retro fit the wiring from a ENX model, if you want MX style power for enduro the ENX gives you this with an 18" rear and of course it is registerable with out all the hassle of converting an MX which is what it basically is anyway. I'm old school so I don't mind not having an electric button, I suppose growing up with BSA's will do that :thumbsup:

I quite like the 48 Paioli's but there were some assembly issues with Paioli and fork seals are a problem with any of the big diametre forks, I know that the KTM's here leaked even before they were out of the crates!

Another little trick for the rear brake is to slit a short length of gas line and slip it over the brake line where it cross's over at the rear of the engine case's and zip tie it on, this stops it wearing a hole in the line.

So basically:

- In order to get it street legal I would have to get the lights, wiring loom and switchgear (including turn signals, horn and battery) and the exhaust. Lighting coil is already on the machine

- The gearbox is the same for the MX and the Enduro version

- It is just about as rideable as the enduro version

- For reliability I would have to ask about the bearing issue

- I would still miss the e-start

Is this correct?

Maurice