Sign in to follow this  

Quick- how to tell the bolt size?

Ok maybe I am an idiot but I stripped out one of the bolts holding the clutch assembly and the mirror onto the handlebars and need to replace the bolt. The dealership said it is a 5mm bolt but according to my socket set it is a 8mm. Now correct me if I am wrong but don't you determine the size of the bolt by the head? :thumbsup:

the size of the bolt is determined by the outside diameter of the threads. i.e "6mm" bolt has a 8 mm head, but not always because they can also have a 10mm head.

Burned, let's say hypothetically here that a "friend" had the same thing happen to him but he is a idiot and try to use another bolt that had different tread pattern and it stripped his threads out of the bracket itself. Couldn't he just go and get a longer bolt and use a nut to compesate for the lack of threads? Ok I admit I am the idiot, so when I go to the parts store I need to look for a 6mm bolt long enough to compesate for the lack of threads, correct? :thumbsup:

I learn something new everyday. If you guys have a question about land surveying I may be able to help you out but other than that, I know nothing :thumbsup:

Thanks alot fellas, I got to run to the parts store and pick me up a 6mm bolt with a matching nut and a 12v power source to hook my gps up, oh yeah and a blinker bulb for the land cruiser :thumbsup:

I think you will find the brake side is 6mm and the clutch side is 5mm. Bolt size is always the size (diameter) of the thread. US sizes are thread diameter and number of threads per inch... Example: 1/4-20 is 1/4 inch diameter with 20 threads per inch. Below 1/4 inch, common usage is a numbered size. Example: 10-32 is .190 inch diameter with 32 threads per inch. Metric practice is thread diameter and thread pitch (how far it is from one thread to the next) Example: 6m, 1.0 is 6mm diameter with threads 1.0mm apart.