Sign in to follow this  

Rich or lean???

Bike: 1990 DR650

Mods: Slip on exhaust, Dynojet kit with 160 main(147.5 stock), needle set 4th clip position down, snorkle removed, K&N filter, air pilot adjusted 2.5 turns out. All carb mods done per dynojet instructions.

Symptoms: Bike starts perfect, comes on strong, but between 4.5-5K rpms, it hits a bog, then rolls past the initial missing after 5K. This is worsened when the throttle is opened fast. So is it rich or lean?

ThanX! I'll throw in the 155 and see what happens. Curious as to how you can tell between the two conditions. I couldn't tell if it was fuel starvation, or gorging? :thumbsup:

Just did some test runs with the 155 and it now kicks ass! No bog. Thanx for the fast advice. Nicest part is the main takes less than 5 minutes to change. :thumbsup:

hello Neville1,

I had also almost the same problem with you. You can have a look at my recent posts. I ride also with a K&N filter, airbox open top and an fcr 39. The bike was running fine except a small part of throttle opening (somewhere above the 1/2) where i couldnt understant if the bike was rich or lean. It was more like a "blrrr" and then the bike was coming to top end almost fine.

It was rich. I managed to make this rich condition dissappeared with the FS at 2.5 turns out. I believe that i can also go down to a 155 main (at the moment 160) but i should have to buy it.

What carb are you using? Needle? Clip?

Did you chech your plug with the 160 main and then with the 155?

I believe the carb is a cv 40. The needle is whatever came in the Dynojet kit. The clip is 4th position down. It ran so good with the 155 that I didn't bother checking the plugs. I don't know about the new DR's, but my old one has 2 spark plugs.