Sign in to follow this  

CRF230/WR250/CRF250X

What are your opinions on the CRF230, WR250 and the CRF250X? My fiance' wants to start riding but she's never ridden before. We went window shopping today and she really liked the 230. I don't know much about the bike other than it's pretty heavy. I like the elec. start. I was personally leaning toward the WR or CRF since they have headlights and they are lighter. She's 5'5" and about 125-130 lbs, (don't let her know I said her weight! :devil:) I put her on my YZ and she can touch both feet.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

there are at least 3 threads comparing 230 - 250x on CRF'sonly.com

Buy a cheap used bike that is way too small for her. She needs to learn throttle, clutch, brake control without being AFRAID of the bike. Start out small or the first time she dumps the bike because she doesn't understand how to balance the bikes weight and put a foot out properly she won't want to ride it again...

Buy a cheap used bike that is way too small for her. She needs to learn throttle, clutch, brake control without being AFRAID of the bike. Start out small or the first time she dumps the bike because she doesn't understand how to balance the bikes weight and put a foot out properly she won't want to ride it again...

That is a good point. I am a dude doing research for my gal, and I think that she is going to move up from an xr 200 to a rmz250. I also live in redding and I was wondering how much you like your wr in this environment?

I wouldn't buy a beginner a WR250 unless she is really tall and really strong. I love my WR but I've been riding since I was 16, I'm 5'11 and can lift the big thing when need be. The 230 is pretty much the popular choice for many smaller and beginner-level women. I've lifted a few up for friends and they seem very light. I don't like how they are button-started only however. My 2 cents.

:thumbsup:

Haven't had the WR long enough to know whether I made a mistake or not... Coming off a DRZ400...

Love the weight, miss the torque - but that could be in the jetting...

I'd say it'd be a good bike for her to move up to from a XR200...

But be warned, the WR/YZ can't mount Kouba links if she's short... I've been able to adjust the suspension enough for me, but just a FYI...

I'm a 5'2 female and absolutely love my WR. My friend has the CR250x and feels the same. We both had our bikes lowered and the lights pulled off. My WR now feels only slightly heavier than my YZ. I have known 2 other girls to buy a 230 and sell it within a couple of months. The WR is nice because it handles decent on a moto track too.

One of them started racing MX and was just behind the pack, she ended up getting an RMZ250 and went from 10th-last place to 3rd-5th instantly. The other one rode my YZ250F and felt that her bike was heavy and slow. It really depends on the rider. I know a lot of girls that ride and most of them race. It seems that all of us who started out with "mellow bikes" felt that we couldn't compete with all the other girls who had race bikes. Even though not all of us ride the fast bikes all that fast sometimes, they are lighter, faster, and handle better, all of which makes us more confident and ultimately ride better. If someone never plans to compete or ride an MX track then I would think the CRF230 would be a great bike to just cruise trails. It is easy to ride. I've just seen a bunch of girls get tired of their more mellow easy bikes very fast and end up spending more money than necessary just to end up with a race bike anyway. If I had it to do over, I would have either started out on a race bike or bought a ridiculously cheap used beater to learn on, instead of a brand new TTR (which I outgrew in about 2 weeks and lost about $1900 on when I sold it). The only problem most of us girls have encountered with the bigger bikes is height. For $140 I had my WR lowered 2 inches and now it's perfect.

My neighbor went through the same thing. Husband wanted wife to get off the 4 wheeler and get a 'MX' bike so he got her a new TTR-125. She though it was a mini-bike and was embarrassed of it. didn't really have enough power to push through the sand unless wide open. They sold that after 1/2 a season and bought a new CRF 230. She was more scared of this and chose to ride the 4 wheeler more. 230 was sold and she stuck to the quad. Neighbor lost a few grand in re-sale.

Moral - buy used until you know for sure she'll stick with it and love it. I hear the CRF250 and 'X' models are great except for the oil capacity. Not great for long rides. Read in the CRF section and enjoy the sport!!!

Tim.

As I am a woman who owns a WR250...they are a bit taller (lets say, alot; 5'6" & 130 at prepregnancy) than your common race bikes. I really don't know about the CRF230's weight, but I do know that before I had work done on my WR, if I was just getting into the sport I would choose the WR because it is a mild bike until you put $1500 into it, than it becomes a wild bike. See if anyone has any of these bikes that you can ride than she can try riding (without a financial commitment, seldom does that happen). You riding the machine, then telling her where powerband is and giving her some tips, may help in the final decision. Good luck!

kzoo....she's my height and about 20 lbs lighter. I handle my crf230 just fine, weight-wise. I'm not sure what kind of shape she's in. That makes a difference because it has been accused of being heavy. The e-start is nice! But, you might want to take her in to sit on a crf150. I did that before I got my xr100 (which was way too small, but it was cheap and I wasn't ready for more power). It was very comfortable to me, too.

I hear the CRF250 and 'X' models are great except for the oil capacity.

???

650 + 750 ml

vs e.g. 1300 ml in an XR250

???