Sign in to follow this  

Which skidplate and handguards?

After the abuse my DRZs skidplate endured, I really want a protective skidplate. Prefer one that uses the existing mounts instead of clamp type...

How about handguards? My Acerbis plastic ones won't fit on fat bars so...

Hopefully your suggestions are available on TT :thumbsup:

hiya pkley , I use B&B bash plates ,which you prob can't get in the states but there really good quality B&B Also you can get a kit for accerbis hand gaurds to suit Fatbars ... :thumbsup:

I got a Devol and it was a poorly made, ill fitting piece of schit. I bought a WER skid plate and its about the nicest plate I have seen. My Devol is going on Ebay.

Cool, I'll ask TT about the WER. Real frustrating that for most of the skidplates they don't show a pic of it for YOUR bike. Coverage varies - I don't want to buy something that is real narrow and doesn't protect the sidecovers from the bottom/side...

:thumbsup:

The flatland racing skidplate has to be one of the best out there. The following is right off of their website at http://flatlandracing.com/

"By far our best selling product, Our plates are made of rugged 3/16" aluminum. This plate extends beyond the rails and provides protection for the motor housing and water pump. It is a great value at this price! " ($74.95)

PS: They also have a picture of it on the WR250F!

i know u dont wanna deal with clamps, but the rooster performance skid plate is a great product.

Have the rooster, works and covers well but installation is a pain, with removal required to do a full oil change. Someone needs to come up with a better install method.

I got a Devol and it was a poorly made, ill fitting piece of schit. I bought a WER skid plate and its about the nicest plate I have seen. My Devol is going on Ebay.

In theory, I like the design of the WER and the limited areas it has available for mud to collect, but in the back of my mind I keep having this nagging vision of my bike impaled on a 1-2" diameter tree stump, with the stump going through one of those pipe guards on the side. :thumbsup:

I use the Moose bash plate (see link in my sig). It has clamps though, we've been through a lot together and no damages to my bike so far - it's serious armor. :thumbsup:

Do you have to remove for oil change?

Nope, me lazy! :devil: I just wipe off the oil with a paper towel as much as I can. I don't put any foam/sponge in between the engine and the bash plate either - I just drill some holes at the bottom of the plate and spray/pick all the goop/junk/rocks out with water after a muddy ride - it's only gonna get dirty again anyway. Like I said, me lazy... :thumbsup:

I went with a Utah Sport Cycle plate after a lot of searching, it has great coverage and I don't need to take it off to change the oil. It's quite easy to mount but does use clips. It has definately saved my water pump from a few rocks. I also went with enduro engineering hand guards - they're not cheap but they work. I just crashed two days ago and my Renthal's bent, but the handguards held up and saved my hand - couldn't stop the bruise on my hip though!! :thumbsup::devil:

My Utah is a seriously heavy duty skid plate. I ended up drilling holes in the side wings to lighten it up but I would bet it's about indestructible. A good and easy fit as well. I've found my Wacker handguards fit like a glove but offer a decent amount of protection but not as much as some with a larger plastic guard. Most but not all rocks being flug my way hit the guard. I had to adjust them a few times after watching where my hands would end up as I twisted the throttle. I guess for the handguards you should check out how the plastic is mounted and what shape you like.