Sign in to follow this  

need better tires??

Ok the stockers are not cutting it anymore. They were good for about my first 2 gas tanks until i actually started to ride the bike hard. Now i find the only place i get good traction is in DRY grass, on the road and in really dry dirt or rocks. But thats not good around here.

What tires should i look for?

around here when it gets wet its WET!!!

the gras gets like a bog, and the mud is all over. I almost did a 180 taking a muddy turn too quick. we ride the soot old rr tracks with no actual tracks left. And i dont get any traction at all really. One min you can be in a clear dry spot, the next turn a muddy hole, the next sharp slate all over.

Whats a better tire in general front and rear? I think for the front something with smaller more pointy nobs. And both the front and rear tend to "pack" with mud and just spin like crazy...although in a straight line through mud it goes easily.

I'm going S12 front and rear for the mud (slippery like nothing else) around here. I've used the rear, and its the best thing ever in the mud. I'll post again when I try out the front.

I had a set of Michellin S-12's and they were very good. The rear did wear noticably faster than the stock Pirelli, but it worked soooooo much better too.I was set to buy another S-12, but decided to try a Kenda. My pal with a CRF 250R had installed one and liked it so much he encouraged me to buy one. I have always steered clear of the "cheap tires", but the Millville is making a believer out of me! I also had a Dunlop 739 and did not like the tire at all. The sidewall was way too stiff for my liking, and didn't seem to get good traction in any condition. Even with 0 PSI the dunlop rode like it had 60psi!! The 739 may be a good choice for desert racing. You sure wouldn't have any pinch flats...... As I mentioned, I am currently running a Kenda Millville. I am very happy with it. I have it mounted in the "soft terrain" direction. I wish Michellin would make their MS-2 tire in an 18" size.(currently 19" only) I am certain you would like how it would work in the mud. I feel you could benefit from a tire change as well. If you can afford a new tire, look at all of the brands' sand and/or mud tire designs. They will provide much better traction than your MT320 in those conditions. Save the Pirelli for when its dry.(if ever) Good luck, and keep us posted.......

S-12 is available for an 18 inch tire... I'm running one on my XR400 now :thumbsup:

www.rockymountainmc.com go to tires and you'll find them.

S-12 is the easiest tire ever to mount. No pinch flats either (14psi). I even hit a rock so hard it broke a spoke, but didnt pinch the tube.

hmm...you guys like these trails ...its fun on a quad...but man you bounce around and fly every which way over here...

and hell with apple sized rocks these rochs are the size of watermelons. We ride on old rr tracks and quarry trails. The quarry trails are SUPER SUPER tight...how tight? well i was going a little too fast on my old 400ex and i couldnt fit between a tree and a fence, well the tire cliped the tree in about 2nd gear and the bike and i rolled down a quarry cliff a couple times until we hit a tree...not fun.

anyway the quarry trails are rock...and only rocks really. Here its called the "slate Belt" cause there is a TON of slate and most all the hillclimbs are slate or large rocks in the way and at the top of most all climbs the lips go almost verticle...so if you dont make it, you have a harsh roll back down.

The other trails are the rr tracks. They have no actual tracks left but are that black soot that you just spin spin spin like crazy. Then they lead to the mountain trails that all rocks again and super muddy. I had a hard time yesterday. With all the rain we got last week it was super muddy and the quads that i ride with made ruts about 6in -1 ft deep. I tried to ride in the middle but the rear went in one rut and the front in alother and i was riding sideways for a about 20 feet.

these trails are fun, but if you let down yer gaurd for a min...your gonna fall HARD

Sounds like you need a trials tire, i hear they kick a$$ when it comes to hard surfaces especialy rock. Knobbies dont hook up on rock to good. This is a quote from your other post, just in case you didn't see my reply. Here you go Click here for a good review!

????? I know the S-12 is available in an 18" I ran one as well. I found it to be an excellent choice.