Sign in to follow this  

OIL DRAIN PLUG QUESTION???? NEED HELP???

As some of you know I just purchased a 2001 and duke with 1400 miles on it and after 1000 miles of riding I decided to change my oil but the smaller of the two drain plugs under the bike will not come off, it just spins and spins in either direction, anotherwards I can't tighten it or losen it the bolt just spins in both directions. Any ideas how I can fix this? I COULD NOT get it off and I tried several methods. The previous owner only had the first service done by the KTM Dealer. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

If its just spinning in either direction then its stripped threads because this bolt screws into the cases. I'd try pulling on it with a set of vicegrips as you unscrew it. You do know NOT to touch the socket cap screw down there, right? Only the two flange bolts. If you can't grip it with vicegrips I'd tack weld something to the head of the bolt that you can pull on and turn. I'm guessing that the dealer messed up the treads and used locktight to get the bolt to seal since it can no longer be tightened enough make the copper washer seal correctly. If you use manufactures specified torque on oil drain bolts you find that they realy don't get tightened very tight. The crappy thing is you get some previous guy that just cranks on a steel bolt in an aluminum or magnesium housing just becuase there's oil behind it and this is what you end up with.