Sign in to follow this  

450f over a 250f ? Advice please.

I ride a 250f and am considering a 450f. I weigh 170 , 44 years old and don't race. I ride mostly on the track and some trails. I've never been totaly happy with the power on the 250. I've spent a lot of time on the mods and jetting and it's still boggy. My concern about the 450 is that it may have too much power for my weight and skill and I might be more likely to get hurt. I rode one this week and loved it. So I would like your feedback on things like is it harder to handle because of more weight, is there a better year model to get, what mods are important, etc.? I'm looking at '03's in the $3800 dollar range. Thanks in advance for your input.

I have both. The 450 is great for desert, or bigger tracks, 250f is great for tight trails and smaller busier tracks. I weight 215 lbs I put the 262 big bore kit in it to give more bottom end....LOVE IT!

See both for sale in classifieds

For most just general messin' around fun riding, you will find that the ready availabilty of power at virtually any speed is one of the things that makes a bigger engine more fun.

As great a bike as the 250F is, it's still a small engine. It's a very high-strung engine, too, as it has to be to produce competetive power in it's class. The 450 has no such limitation. It doesn't have the real big way down low speed thump that a WR or an EXC has, but it's pretty close. You can add Dr.D's big 8oz flywheel (has the same effect as a 12oz bolt-on type) to soften the explosive nature of the engine, and you'll probably be a lot happier.

And it is not 20 pounds heavier than a 250f, either, although depending on the model years, it gets close to that. Both bikes have gotten lighter through the years. For example, an '05 450F is only 4.5 pounds heavier than my son's '01 250F. That means it actually weighs less with a full tank.

I like my son's bike. It's a lot of fun in its place. But if I have to stay with only one bike for myself (and I do), no question; it's the YZ450.

I'm in the same boat. You find folks going both ways, and a few guys that have both bikes.I ended up buying a 250 2 stroke for th emissing power, but I cannot swap back and forth. The bikes are simply too different to ride on the same day.

hmmm I wonder where I got that 20 pounds from? I dunno. the yamaha website has it at 12 pounds heavier than my 04 250F. I dont normally do that, sorry for the mis-information. It definitely felt like 20, so hopefully now I can sych myself into thinking it feels like 12. :thumbsup:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitspecscomp02/2/mcy/7/12/1/1127/yamaha_yz250f.aspx

Slowly remove your credit card from your wallet and....shwing it. Get the 450....and keep the 250. You only live once! Seriously, I use to have a 250 and now I have a 450. I just had to have that big bore thumper. (I gave my son my 02 250). I like em both. I know what your going through. But if I had to choose one, I'd take the one that rips my arms off. FYI.. I don't know what year your 250 is but I put a Dr. D SS pipe on my sons new 04 250F, a new Power Now, and a James Dean jet kit and let me tell you, that 04 screams. Way quicker than his stock 02 250F. That thing comes on like any two smoker I've ever ridden. As for my 03 450, I'm running a Storm Cycles rear link and it does corner better than with the stock rear link. Good luck. :thumbsup:

well it's official. Yamaha has detuned the 450 into pansy bikes. It's not as fast as our 04 250's.

I rode 10 or so laps at the track, and then jumped on my kids 250. It was like night and day. The 450 doesnt even come close to matching the acceleration of the 250. It takes for ever for the engine to wind up on it.

I would recommend getting an 03 or maybe an 04 but I would not get the 05 unless you ready to throw some money at it so it can keep up with a 250.

Man I don't know what is wrong with your bikes But my 05 is a handfull compared to my 280. And that was way faster then my 04 250f. Taking the suspension apart tonight to go to Enzo. The bike is really stiff.

I dont know either. I plan on letting yamaha explain to me whats going on.

It runs fine, it's just slow revving. really slow. It's bad enough that you wind up slipping the clutch coming out of corners just like a 2 smoke.

It kind of reminds me of how guys described their WR's compared to YZ's.

I did change the exhaust and adjust the pilot jet. It was around 80 deg when I rode it today. But it felt as strong as my 04 450. Wheelies in every gear easily. Plenty of torque. From my seat of the pants feel it seemed to turn really well with the 90 mm of sag that came from the factory. And thats after I rode my 280f for 6 hours yesterday. And that things handles like a dream. I do plan on going to either 95mm or 100mm of sag and raising the forks 5mm. And getting the suspension softened a bit for me.

One other thought, you said that your 250 was faster at the track. Mine is for me too. I just can't ride the 450 as hard as long. That's why I keep it (other then having a Green sticker bike), is because I can ride it very fast and hard on the trails or track. Well hard for me.

what exhaust did you put on yours?

I'll work it out, cause I know with twice the cc's there has to be lots more potential than the 250. But still after hearing all the hype of how arm wrenching and too big of a hit, it's like running into a pair of oversized falsies. :thumbsup:

that's a tough call....i weight about 185 and will be jumping up to the 450 in '06......

given your weight and type of riding, i think you'd be able to handle the 450 just fine......

why not just get a yz250 if ur concerned w/the power. Its either having a load of a bike w/the 450f or an alum frame w/the 250 (which still hauls)

I have a 250f and at first i thought when i traded it in i'd get a 450f but after riding a lot of 2 strokers i think the 250 might be the better choice...

good luck w/ur decision

what exhaust did you put on yours?

I'll work it out, cause I know with twice the cc's there has to be lots more potential than the 250. But still after hearing all the hype of how arm wrenching and too big of a hit, it's like running into a pair of oversized falsies. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean. I didn't noticed a huge difference in power when I test rode a 450. It seemed exactly the same as my 250f, just stronger all over. It certainly didn't jump out at me as being some uncontrollable beast.

Tough call bud, but what a fun decision to have to make! My 250 does great just about everywhere. I just went riding with a KTM 450 and KTM 300 this weekend and the 250 did fine. I just had to avoid the shower of rocks and dust on the fire roads! :thumbsup:

I rode a YZ 400 in the woods a few weeks ago though and loved it. The power of the big bike is great fun IF you have a place to use it. If you ride a lot of really tight woods stuff, a well tuned 250 is a hoot. If you ride open areas, big hills and sand, 450 for sure. Have fun.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have found since my post much other prevoius discussion on the matter and have gleaned a lot from it as well. I have the Power Now plate drilled, the JD jetting kit, the grey wire mod and a 42PJ. It is still not making the power I think it should. I forgot to mention that I have a WR. I'm wondering now if the sprocket ratio could be part of the problem. I just got but haven't installed yet the smaller leak jet and different AP. Maybe that will help some as well. It is hard to forget the 450 after having ridden it though! Thanks again.