Sign in to follow this  

Hand Fatiuge on clutch side

hey what is a good Cluth Perch/Lever Set Up.. I suffer from Massive Hand Fatiugue from engadgin my clutch.. the free play is set right, its a smooth even pull all the way trough, but its just hard enough to pull that my hand gets Way tired after about 1hr of riding.. Anyone got any suggestions on a good set up? ARC? MSR Raptor? WC? HELP!! thanks :thumbsup:

Will

z-Start with external perch option. You get both the auto clutch and a significantly lighter clutch lever pull.

move your perch inboard so you are just grabbing the tip of the lever...that way you have maximum mechanical advantage. I do this since my races usually take 2-3 hours and when I hit the 2 hour mark of gnarly terrain I give up on the clutch and just try to hold on! I do this with my front brake as well.

If that doesnt work you can always lengthen your clutch arm that the cable hooks up to down on the case.

Pull your clutch actuator arm out of the engine(very easy, just take a look at it) and add 5mm length to it. To do this just cut the upper arm in half and weld a piece of metal in there to lengthen it. I used ten gauge steel(1/8th inch) and it worked out beautifully. You don't want to lengthen it too much though, so be careful. This will dramatically improve the feel of your clutch, at least it did mine. Also make sure you always keep your cable cleaned and lubed. Good luck!

Good advice on lengthing the actuating arm, I extended mine 8mm, with a well lubed cable it pulls almost as easy as my kid's 80cc

wow, dont know if i can do all that stuff, i will try the lubbing thing.. lol not to mechanicaly inclined over here:P hjaha.. thanks :thumbsup:

if you mean the z-start. It is probably the single best thing you can do to make a 450 a better all round ride. No stalling. no sore clutch hand... also the guys at Rekluse are fantastic to deal with.. even for dumb questions like mine wre!

Another option to consider is to strengthen your grip (on both hands). I use a 4-button GripMaster light tension hand exercise thing, and it has made a big difference for me. That plus learning to use the clutch less -- for MX tracks, mostly just in corners and in the whoops, not for shifting. You can usually find the GripMaster 4-button hand exercisers at Music Supply stores, of all places. :devil:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PTWGML

I take the GripMaster with me on my runs, and just work the buttons in different patterns all during the run, changing hands every few minutes. It helps the run go easier (kind of takes your mind off the run), and give your hands a good endurance workout.

I also like the tip of lengthening the actuator arm -- gotta look into that. :thumbsup: