Sign in to follow this  

Bike starting issues

This is a bit of a story, so sorry for the length.

I noticed my head pipe was bent causing a crease in the curve coming out of the head. The crease looks bad enough to restrict the flow coming out. I started the bike and it started amazingly easy, but as soon as I gave it any bit of gas it would die. I assumed it was the bent pipe. I put my buddy's head pipe on but then i could not start it for the life of me. i though maybe it's the valves. Checked them, perfectly within spec.

I put it back together and it got it started after I kicked it seemingly forever, but it was a rough idle and I again could not give it gas without it dying. It also backfired every few times i kicked it over. I then could get it to idle but it smelled bad, like unburned fuel was coming out.

Finally, i looked at the oil throught the little window and it looked like coffee and milk. Drained it and I realize water is getting into the oil so it must be the lower cylinder gasket. Here are the questions i have.

I think i rode it with the bent pipe after the crash since I did not notice it. Could this have over-heated the bike and messed up the cylinder gasket?

Would a bad lower gasket make it idle rough and backfire?

I don't see how water could get into the combustion chamber if the lower gasket is bad...am I wrong about that.

All your help is greatly appreciated. If it is the gaskets, i can easily change them myself. I just don't want to take it to a dealer because they rip you off $$$$$$$!!!

Nobody? Let me guess, it was Saturday night when i posted so everyone was out doing somehing. Hope you got laid. I hope leaving TT for an evening was worth it. :thumbsup::devil: