Sign in to follow this  

'02 CRF450 oil levels

I bought my bike a few weeks ago from a friend that's a stickler for maintenance. He cautioned me about measuring the oil before adding it during and oil change, so I did. I also measured the amounts that came out and found it's the exact opposite of what the manual says. By that I mean mine had about .6 liters in the engine oil, and .7 liters in the trans oil. The manual says it should be .7 engine/ .6 trans. The engine oil came up to the very top of the sight glass after .6 liters, so is it safe? I really don't want to have a meltdown due to low oil, but I also don't want to over-fill the cases either. Any suggestions?

The manual for the 02 is kinda jacked up when it comes to the oil cap. For the Engine side it its pretty dead on. Just make sure u add the amount it says,, A certian amount withe oil and filter change and a certian amount with just oild change. As for the tranny side it says like .59 liters, or something like that which is 590cc, I use a ratio rite cup. that is Wrong!!.. what I do is add 700cc to my tranny then run the bike for 3-5 mins, then let it sit for 3-5 mins, they I check the tranny check bolt. it usuallt ozzes out then u just cap it back up when its done.. pretty straight foward. Just mess around with the tranny side, 700cc is a bit much, but i would rather have to much and level it out then not have enough and jack something up.. hope this helps!! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm not too worried about the trans side being a bit high since I don't see too big a consequence in that. But I am worried about the engine side. The manual says .69 liters after a filter/oil swap. But it also says not to go over the "H" mark on the sight glass and .69 takes it waaaay over that. Too high an engine oil level can cause the crank to slap the oil, causing foaming, etc. Too low and..well we all know how well air lubes the expensive crank! :devil: I was hoping to get the skinny on which I should do for the engine side, measure it out and pay no attention to the sight glass, or pay attention to the glass regardless of how much it takes to get it there. :thumbsup:

ya the 690cc will look like its way to much, but once u run the bike for 3 mins or soe then check it again. it will go down right to the H mark. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I must not have waited long enough after the oil change last nite, because sure enough, I checked it this morning before loading up and it was about perfect with the 700ml I added last nite. I guess the Honda engineers that wrote the manual may know something after all... :thumbsup: