Sign in to follow this  

Ring installation methods

Well I did rings once before and they were not that bad, they were stock set (I changed the base gasket)

However I just finished installing my new JE 95mm piston with the 450 Mil bore. (didnt get it fully to gether yet) I finally got the piston in. It was a [@#$%&*!]! I wish I had 6 hands and eyes around the whole bike. I installed the piston first, then had the wife try and help me get the cyl over the piston while keeping the gaps where they are supposed to be and make sure the oil spacer ring didnt overlap, After an hour I just gave up, The oil spacer ring set was giving me hell. The spacer ring kept moving around, seemed pretty tight too but there wasnt the nice big helper bevel on this skirt like on the original either, Finally I install the piston into the cylinder on my well lit bench, still was a pain but do-able, then I installed it into the bike. Do you guys do it this way or the piston on the bike first?

These 450 ring set are heavy duty and were a [@#$%&*!], yes I checked gaps and made sure the oil spacer didnt overlap itself. :awww::devil:

I'll finish it tomorrow, I need a beer :lol: I dont have any

Another thing is this cylinder says Suzuki on it, my original doesnt (2004) I hope they (Lukes Racing) still give me my credit :thumbsup:

I can't answer any of your questions, but at least you can still buy beer for another hour and a half :thumbsup:

Install the piston with rings into the cylinder on your bench is the way to go :thumbsup:

Tough little buggers aren’t they. :devil:

JE uses alot of ring tension and super thin oil rings......

i install the piston into the cylinder on the bench my self.

JE uses alot of ring tension and super thin oil rings......

i install the piston into the cylinder on the bench my self.

Thanks Eddie, that makes me feel better. I was starting to think something was wrong since the stock rings last time were definately easier.

What about no "Suzuki" on my cylinder, is that something new?

BTW The Millenium instructions say to go more rich on the fuel? I'll ride it before changing jets. So I should just let it idle for a minute and then go riding?

the suzuki being missing isnt a issue.they just ommitted it on the later cylinders.

leave your jetting as is.that just CYA int he instructions.

start it,check for leaks,feel the cylinder for heat and go ride.

i take off as soon as i can feel heat in the cylinder. :thumbsup:

Need to hurry up and post a ride report. I am all anxious.

Of course I am sure it will be nothing but good things. :devil:

I want to do a 450 stroker someday. :thumbsup:

I'm dying just to fire it up and run around the block for 5 minutes (Gotta go somewhere so a ride is out of the question today)

That would be a bad thing right? Better off waiting till I can ride it for an hour?

I want to do a 450 stroker someday. :thumbsup:

Like that wheelie wasn't long enough :devil: Jsuher, as per Burned, on my 439, I went from 160 main to 150. One clip leaner on the needle(EMM) and turned the fuel screw in about 1/4. Still fouled a plug the other day. Learning to go leaner was like discovering the world isn't flat :awww:

Urrrrrgg Just got back anyway

I guess I'll have to take off work early :thumbsup:

I'll bring a couple of jets and my wrench :devil:

Like that wheelie wasn't long enough

As if there was such a thing. Just need more straight road and a helmet cam for my next adventure. Im thinkin freeway. See how many miles I can take it in the diamond lane. :awww::devil::lol::thumbsup:

:D:snore::lol::D:awww::thumbsup::awww::lol:

I'm not such a [@#$%&*!] after all! I think I did a good job :devil:

This thing rocks! I guess it is a 444 (450) Did it thru Lukes Racing JE 95mm piston Millenium bore and sleeve

Kicks ass! No more jones for a bigger engine bike I thought $550 was too good of a deal to pass up. They had a cylinder in stock (I have to return mine for the $300 credit) Nice low end torque, after 1/2 throttle it is out and out scary, great in the low end as well. Behaved flawless all the way from 1200 ft to about 5000. I did drop the jet a little from a 150 to a 148 but I thought it was a bit lean before anyway I also like the needle better on clip 4 instead of 3, went to the 38 air and 5/8~3/4 turn. 2 turns out on the external style fuel screw. I also changed out the air boot to the real "E" so it fit my "power now" correctly ....I'm happy!

Only thing that I dont know if there is a cure for is a couple times I stalled when blipping the throttle not ridng but like getting ready to go. It has always done this if I look for it but really not an issue. Also noticed it a little harder to start (turn over) if the piston winds up in the wrong spot since I have the HotCam exhaust and now the bigger piston but it always startedNow I have to go make dinner for the wife and kids, she has the flu. At least I got a good hour ride up the mountain :D

So when you blip the throttle clutch it and it stalls it is lean? should I open the fuel screw? I'm at 2 turns now. It runs just great everywhere

Yes like when I'm idle and I blip it a second before letting out the clutch, Rich? Could it be too much squirt? It goes a little over 2 seconds