Sign in to follow this  

stubborn screw

Can't for the life of me get out the centre screw holding on the radiator shrouds.

Tried everything short of drilling it out.

Lubed it, bought new special screwdriver,bought different kind of lube, bought new impact driver.

I was banging the s**t out of that driver and still it won't budge.

Is that screw holding the engine to the frame? is that why it came so tight?!?

Any suggestions.

:thumbsup:

Cheers

Are you talking about the bolt that takes an 8mm socket? If you are talking about the shroud bolt that bolts to the radiator, Dont Beat On it. Maybe we are thinking of two different fasteners.

Im talking about the screw that is one of three that hold the plastic shroud onto the tank.

Too late regarding the beating!!

The impact didn't work? Try liquid wrench and your impact again it must of seized because of dissimilar metal corrosion. :thumbsup: don't drill it you'll end up with a hole in your tank!

Thanks,

I have already sprayed it with teflon chain lube but just bought some spray oil that I'll cover it with tonight.

Can't get liquid wrench here in Japan though.

Never had a screw refuse to budge with an impact driver. The bike is only a few months old so I'd be surprised if there was any corrosion, the 5 other screws that easily came out with a regular screw driver had no corrosion at all.

Cross thread maybe - but I would of thought the pounding I gave it with the impact driver would have sorted that out :thumbsup:

It's 11pm Sunday here in Tokyo, on a fine late summer evening.

chain lube wont do anything for ya you need a penetrating oil like wd-40. Also the the treaded part of the tank is on a thin flap of metal so the impact gun could have caved it in making it squeeze the screw even harder.

Is the screw you are dealing with a #3 Phillips or 8mm hex? I think both were used on different models. Is the tank plastic or metal? Either way the tank is too flexible for the impact driver to do much good (no energy transfer). Drilling is a bad idea. Even if you get the head off to remove the shroud, you would never get the rest of it out. I am going to assume it is a big headed screw with a #3 Phillips drive. Is it possible to grind flats on the sides so you can turn it with a wrench of some kind?

If it's like my 03 DRZS, it's a #3 Phillips. I've got the same problem with my exhaust pipe phillips screw. Darn thing is stuck!!! I'm going to put plenty of wd on it and hope it loosens up.

Good luck.

If worst comes to worst you can very very carefully....

Drill the top of the screw off with a large drill bit. Just drill enough to get the top of the bolt off and deal with the threaded part of the screw with some vise grips later.

Last resort. :thumbsup:

Do yourselves a favor and use actual pentrating oil. It will do the job a lot better then wd will.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Its a big Philips that is already getting a bit deformed. I really don't want to end up drilling it..and I wouldn't of thought penetrating oil would do much now- it's not rusty.

I may take it to the local bike shop- see what they can do. They must come accross this sort of problem a lot.

Maybe making a regular screw-driver slot in it and getting a wrench to it might work.

Cheers

Another option is to try A "Drill out" or "X-out" damaged srew extractor bit,They work well and are pretty cheap at sears or an auto parts store .They are essentially a left handed bit that will bite into the screw and back it out while drilling

Thanks for all the ideas.

Its a big Philips that is already getting a bit deformed. I really don't want to end up drilling it..and I wouldn't of thought penetrating oil would do much now- it's not rusty.

I may take it to the local bike shop- see what they can do. They must come accross this sort of problem a lot.

Maybe making a regular screw-driver slot in it and getting a wrench to it might work.

Cheers