Sign in to follow this  

what oil to use

Suzuki tells us to use 10-40. I use Motul 10-40 Semi Synthetic. Make sure you use an oil designed for an air cooled 4 cycle motorcycle engine as the demands on the oil are much different that an automotive application. Air cooled engines operate on both ends of temperature extremes (too cold or hot), so the oil needs a unique additive package to deal with these factors. Good oil is cheaper than engine rebuilds...

I've been using KawaChem (Kawasaki) 10w-40 with good results, it seems to be good quality oil, and not nearly as expensive as the good quality synthetics (although it may need to be changed more often). Also it is vital that you don't use regular automotive oil because the friction modifiers in automotive oil will ruin your clutch.

Funny thing is, from my dr650 manual:

Suzuki reccomends SUZUKI PERFORMANCE 4 MOTOR OIL, which is a very high performance SAE 10w-40 SG oil with special friction modifier added

I use Mobil 1 MX4T or Mobil 1 10w-50 (red cap) if I can't find the other stuff, the red cap does not have the friction modifier added

Silkolene 4 pro 15-50 Pure Synthetic. I would use it after the rings were seated. i'd use the crap that came in there to break it in then Synthetic from then on. it sure works wonders in my DRZ 400E. prairiedawg :thumbsup:

I am a die hard AMSOIL user. Since adding the 10w-40 AMSOIL motorcycle oil in my DR650, it runs cooler and starts easier. Lots of people will argue the cost and the use of a Full-Synthetic, but I have used the product for years and just plain like it. :thumbsup: