Sign in to follow this  

New Thumperette

Folks,

I recently got divorced, and decided after almost 25 years, to buy myself a Thumper. I wound up with an '04 Suzuki DR-650...have had it about 6 weeks now, and put 1600 miles on it. A bunch of those miles were with my 15 year old daughter on board. Now, I LOVE my daughter, but she is a pain in the NECK as a passenger. We rode up to Mt. Rushmore a couple of weeks ago, and she almost spilled us a couple of times, 'I had an itch!', you know, that sort of thing. Well anyway, after seldom riding on the street, this big monster scared me a time or two, so I signed up for the MSF Beginner's Riding course...and signed HER up as well. Due to schedule conflicts, and class size, I ended up graduating last Saturday, (0 missed questions on the written part, only lost 1 point on the riding part.) and SHE wound up graduating yesterday, 9/11..(two missed questions on written part, 4 points lost on riding part) Well, needless to say, Dad was VERY, VERY proud!!!! She actually did better than all but maybe one other person in class!! Well, on Friday night, before class, I took her to an empty parking lot and let her ride my DR...and it's HEAVY, she scared me a couple of times, but by gosh and by golly, she did pretty darn good. (She has NEVER rode a motorcycle up until a week ago!!!)

Well, I decided I would rather have her as a riding PARTNER than a riding PASSENGER, so I bit the bullet, and we went and got her an '04 DR-200!!!! The bikes are almost twins, as they are the same color, (blue), and at first glance, a person can't tell the two apart!!

Now we have to wait until Tuesday for her to get her license, so today will be the last day she is a passenger instead of a pilot!!!!

I'll post pics SOON, and also get her logged on here and reading the forums!!!

Just had to share, I'm so proud of the little cuss, and happier about buying her a bike than I was when I bought mine!!!

Tom

Well, where did you grow up?!?! We live in South Dakota, where the minimum driving age is 14, (yes, she's been driving since then), and you can go for a LONNGGG time on the backroads and see nothing, and no one! If we lived in a heavily populated area, it might be a different story, you know? hehehe

She's a straight A student, top 5 of her class, (not percent, top FIVE, with about 250 students in her class), always lets me know where, when, and with WHOM she is going to be.....(after a few ROUGH acting outs that is)....and is very responsible. We did an illegal 10 mile through the country roads this evening after getting back from the Black Hills, and she did very very well!!! Sooooo, my riding passenger will be a much better riding partner after Tuesday. :thumbsup:

In Vallejo/American Canyon area so there was a LOT more cars.

And I'm very accident prone so that was another issue. Frankly they were scared I would do something terrible.

Too cool!! :thumbsup:

With a 650 as her first ride, you may find you have a power-hungry little girl there... The throttle on the 200 just won't seem to go around as far as the one on Dads bike... :awww::lol:

Congrats to both of you... :devil: Dad Power at work again! :lol:

:D

David